Most often, they are based on real-life weapons, but they can be combined with other weapons or given additional features to increase their versatility and effectiveness in combat.
- 1 Design
- 2 List of Weapons
- 3 Other Weapons
- 4 Minor Weapons
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
Design[edit | edit source]
Transformations[edit | edit source]
Though standard weapons exist, the majority of weapons shown in RWBY are usually designed to be transformable, using a foldable frame - a framework capable of shifting various sections to change the weapon from one form into another in mere seconds. Weapons with a foldable frame possess two or more selected forms, and the wielder is capable of freely swapping between each weapon state depending on their needs.
Typically, such weapons would have both a melee state and a ranged combat state, but are not necessarily limited to those specific types of attacks while in each state. Weapons can also have an inactive state known as a "sheathed" form, locking and securing the weapon while outside of combat, similar to the safety catch of a firearm. For example, Crescent Rose and Ember Celica shrink down to be holstered and carried easily, while Crocea Mors and Gambol Shroud both have separate sheaths to make them easy to carry.
Dust[edit | edit source]
Some weapons are shown to be fueled by Dust for a more "magical" style of combat. By doing so, Huntsmen combine the brute force of the weapons themselves with effects like object enchantment and elemental attacks such as weather and nature manipulation.
Most of the known weapons incorporate Dust into their designs, either by utilizing Dust into an attack, as seen with Myrtenaster, or using Dust in the form of bullets or ammunition. It is implied that all "firearms" in Remnant use Dust ammunition.
Personalization[edit | edit source]
These weapons, while nearly impossible to create in reality, seem to be moderately easy to construct for the citizens of Remnant. Ruby had to design and build her weapon during her time at Signal Academy, and she expressed surprise at Jaune Arc for not making his own, indicating this is a common practice among future Huntsmen in Remnant.
Storage[edit | edit source]
When not in use, some people carry their weapons attached to magnetic clamps on their body. Ruby has one on her belt, Ren has two hanging from his hips and Nora, Blake and Neptune have one on their backs.
List of Weapons[edit | edit source]
|Crescent Rose||Ruby Rose||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Scythe, Sniper-Rifle|
|Myrtenaster||Weiss Schnee||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Rapier, Revolver|
|Gambol Shroud||Blake Belladonna||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Katana, Cleaver, Pistol, Kusarigama|
|Ember Celica||Yang Xiao Long||Melee, Ranged||Gauntlet, Shotgun|
|Yang's Prosthetic Arm||Yang Xiao Long||Melee, Ranged||Prosthetic Arm, Gauntlet, Shotgun|
|Crocea Mors||Jaune Arc||Melee, Defensive, Dust||Longsword, Shield, Sheath|
|Magnhild||Nora Valkyrie||Melee, Ranged||War Hammer, Grenade Launcher|
|Miló and Akoúo̱||Pyrrha Nikos||Melee, Ranged, Defensive||Javelin, Xiphos, Rifle, Shield|
|StormFlower||Lie Ren||Melee, Ranged||Dual SMGs, Wind and Fire Blades, Grappling Hooks|
|Ren's Dagger||Lie Ren||Melee||Dagger|
|Gianduja||Coco Adel||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Handbag, Minigun|
|Sharp Retribution||Fox Alistair||Melee, Ranged||Tonfa|
|Anesidora||Velvet Scarlatina||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Box, Camera, Copy|
|The Executioner||Cardin Winchester||Melee, Dust||Mace|
|Shortwings||Russel Thrush||Melee, Dust||Daggers|
|Hallshott||Dove Bronzewing||Melee, Ranged||Sword, Revolver|
|Feather's Edge||Sky Lark||Melee, Ranged||Halberd|
|Ruyi Bang and Jingu Bang||Sun Wukong||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Staff, Nunchaku, Lever Action Shotgun|
|Hook and Darling||Scarlet David||Melee, Ranged||Flintlock Pistol, Cutlass, Grappling Hook|
|Tri-Hard||Neptune Vasilias||Ranged, Melee||Guandao, Trident, Rifle|
|Arslan's Weapon||Arslan Altan||Melee||Rope Dart, Dagger|
|Bolin's Staff||Bolin Hori||Melee||Staff, Blades|
|Reese's Hoverboard||Reese Chloris||Melee, Ranged||Hoverboard, Dual Revolvers|
|Nadir's Gun||Nadir Shiko||Ranged, Melee||Assault Rifle, Sword|
|Brawnz's Claws||Brawnz Ni||Melee||Claws|
|Roy's Saws||Roy Stallion||Melee, Ranged||Circular Saws|
|Nolan's Cattle Prod||Nolan Porfirio||Melee||Cattle Prod|
|May's Rifle||May Zedong||Ranged, Melee||Sniper Rifle, Axe|
|Nebula's Crossbow||Nebula Violette||Ranged, Melee||Crossbow, Sword|
|Dew's Spear||Dew Gayl||Melee, Dust||Spear|
|Gwen's Knives||Gwen Darcy||Ranged, Melee, Dust||Knives|
|Octavia's Dagger||Octavia Ember||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Kris|
|Flynt's Trumpet||Flynt Coal||Ranged, Dust||Trumpet|
|Neon's Nunchaku||Neon Katt||Melee, Dust||Nunchaku|
|The Long Memory||Oscar Pine||Melee, Magic||Walking Stick|
|The Disciplinarian||Glynda Goodwitch||Dust||Riding Crop|
|Blowhard||Peter Port||Melee, Ranged||Axe, Blunderbuss|
|Antiquity's Roast||Bartholomew Oobleck||Melee, Ranged||Thermos, Club, Flamethrower|
|Due Process||James Ironwood||Ranged, Dust||Revolvers|
|Winter's Swords||Winter Schnee||Melee, Dust||Sword|
|Floating Array (Formerly)||Penny Polendina||Melee, Ranged||Swords, Guns, Puppet Strings|
|Kingfisher||Clover Ebi||Melee, Utility||Fishing Pole|
|Fast Knuckles||Harriet Bree||Melee, Utility||Gauntlets|
|Fetch||Marrow Amin||Melee, Ranged||Boomerang, Rifle|
|Timber||Elm Ederne||Melee, Ranged||Hammer, Rocket Launcher|
|Thorn||Vine Zeki||Melee, Ranged||Throwing Star|
|Gravity Bolas||Ace Operatives||Utility||Bolas, Handcuffs|
|Tornado Grenade||Oscar Pine||Trap, Dust||Mine, Granade|
|Hard-Light Shield Grenade||Jaune Arc||Utility, Defense, Dust||Shield, Grenade|
|Robyn's Crossbow||Robyn Hill||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Crossbow, Shield|
|Happy Huntresses' Weapons||Happy Huntresses||Melee, Ranged||Crossbow, Staff|
|Omen||Raven Branwen||Melee, Dust||Ōdachi|
|Harbinger||Qrow Branwen||Melee, Ranged||Sword, Shotgun, Scythe|
|Stalwart||Leonardo Lionheart||Defensive, Ranged, Dust||Shield|
|Amber's Staff||Amber||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Staff|
|Ozma's Staff||Ozma||Ranged, Magic||Staff|
|Life and Death||Maria Calavera||Melee, Ranged||Scythe, Kamas, Pistols|
|Vernal's Weapons||Vernal||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Wind and Fire Blades, Gun|
|Junior's Bazooka||Junior Xiong||Melee, Ranged||Rocket Launcher, Club|
|Melanie's Heels||Melanie Malachite||Melee||High-heeled Boots|
|Miltia's Claws||Miltia Malachite||Melee||Claws|
|Midnight (Formerly)||Cinder Fall||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blades, Bow|
|Cinder's Weapons||Cinder Fall||Melee, Ranged, Magic||Various|
|Melodic Cudgel||Roman Torchwick||Ranged, Melee||Cane, Flare Gun, Grappling Hook|
|Thief's Respite||Emerald Sustrai||Melee, Ranged||Dual Revolvers, Sickles, Kusarigama|
|Talaria||Mercury Black||Melee, Ranged||Boots, Guns|
|Hush||Neopolitan||Melee, Defensive||Umbrella, Estoc, Shield|
|The Queen's Servants||Tyrian Callows||Melee, Ranged||Wrist Blades, Guns|
|Watts' Revolver||Arthur Watts||Ranged, Dust||Revolver|
|Watts' Rings||Arthur Watts||Utility, Defensive, Dust||Rings, Hacking, Shield|
|Wilt and Blush||Adam Taurus||Melee, Ranged||Rifle, Chokutō|
|Lieutenant's Chainsaw||White Fang Lieutenant||Melee||Chainsaw|
|Lightning Lash||Ilia Amitola||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blade, Whip, Gun|
|Cyclone and Inferno||Corsac Albain, Fennec Albain||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Dagger, Wand|
|Cerberus Whip||Sienna Khan||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blade, Whip|
|Carmine's Weapons||Carmine Esclados||Melee, Ranged||Sai, Double-sided trident|
|Rhodes' Weapons||Rhodes, Cinder Fall||Melee, Ranged||Maces, Swords, Guns|
|Rasen||Pyke Rite||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Drill cannon|
|Windlass||Arrastra Skye||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Pickaxe, Crossbow|
|Fortune's Fangs||Asher Mora||Melee, Dust, Utility||Swordbreakers, Glaive, Grappling Hook|
|Pandora's Aegis||Fenix Nemean||Melee, Defensive||Brass claws, Arm shields|
Other Weapons[edit | edit source]
Li Ren's Bow[edit | edit source]
Li Ren was the father of Lie Ren and a resident of Kuroyuri. He and his bow appeared in the episode "Kuroyuri". He was a hunter that gathered food for the city and used a bow. He used the bow when the Nuckelavee and other Grimm attacked the city. He faced the Nuckelavee, but it was ineffective and he was killed. Years later one of his arrows was found by Ren and Nora in the Nuckelavee's cave.
The bow is green, brown and gold and shares the aesthetic that Li, An and Ren all have. The arrow resembles a fleur-de-lis.
Shay's Pistol[edit | edit source]
Shay D. Mann is a member of the Branwen bandit tribe and uses a crude pistol cobbled together from different parts.
The revolver appears to have been damaged multiple times as it has scratches all over and is partially held together by bits of wire. The handle is a brass knuckle and the bottom features a blade for melee combat. The entire handle section is held together with string and wire.
The pistol has a tendency to jam, which happened when he attacked Yang Xiao Long with some other bandits.
Image Gallery[edit | edit source]
Dee's Club[edit | edit source]
Dee was a Huntsman seen in "Argus Limited" that worked on the Argus Limited train. He used a large club that was able to expand, spin and generate electricity. The weapon was ineffective against the fast, flying Manticores which lead to his death at their claws.
The club resembles the Japanese Kanabō club.
Image Gallery[edit | edit source]
Dudley's Rifle[edit | edit source]
Dudley is a Huntsman seen in "Argus Limited" that works on the Argus Limited train. His weapon of choice is a rifle, and he uses it to defend the train against the Manticores.
Image Gallery[edit | edit source]
Minor Weapons[edit | edit source]
Firearms[edit | edit source]
- Handgun - Handguns used by the Henchmen, Vale Police Department detectives, White Fang Goons and Atlesian soldiers.
- Tommy Gun - The standard firearm wielded by the DJ in Junior's Club.
- Red-gray rifle - Briefly used by a Henchman in "Ruby Rose" and also used by White Fang Goons.
- Rifle - Standard issue for the Atlesian military. Used by the Atlesian Knight-200 series in "Breach". Also seen slung over the backs of Atlesian soldiers.
- Rifle - Used by the Branwen Tribe.
- Rifle - Used by members of Tock's crew.
- Rifle - Used by soldiers in the Volume 6 Adam Character Short.
- Pistol - Used by the Menagerie Guard and Kali Belladonna. Used by Ilia Amitola's associate in the Volume 5 Blake Character Short. One is seen in the Adam Character Short.
- Revolver - Glynda uses a gun to start a race in the DC comic.
Swords, Knives and Axes[edit | edit source]
- Swords - Used by White Fang Goons
- Foldable sword - Atlesian soldiers.
- Fire Sword - Mentioned by Ruby in "The Shining Beacon" as being wielded by an unseen Beacon Academy student.
- Shotel - Used by White Fang member in "Battle of Beacon".
- Swords and axes - Used by people in the ancient past.
- Axes and red swords - The various weapons wielded by the Henchmen.
- Sword - Used by the Branwen Tribe.
- Knife - Trifa's weapon of choice.
- Switchblade - Sold in Menagerie.
Polearms[edit | edit source]
- Collapsible Staff - Mentioned by Ruby in "The Shining Beacon" as being wielded by an unseen Beacon student.
- Spear - Used by the Menagerie Guard.
- Spear - Used by the White Fang Royal Guard.
- Club - used by the Faunus of Menagerie.
Heavy Weapons, Emplacements, and Vehicle Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Chaingun - The Atlesian Dropship is equipped with chin-mounted Gatling cannons.
- Cannons - The Ship has port cannons and a heavy cannon for dealing with Grimm out at sea.
- Turrets - Used by the Argus Limited as a defense against Grimm.
- Atlesian Beam Turret - Developed by Atlas after the Fall of Beacon.
- Atlesian Burrow Gun - Developed by Atlas after the Fall of Beacon
- Dust Cannon - The right arm of the Colossus.
- Missile Laucher - On the Colossus' right arm.
- Minigun - RWBY: World of Remnant - Between Kingdoms.
Other[edit | edit source]
- Bombs - White Fang used bombs in their attack on Vale and on Haven.
- Bomb - Doctor Merlot uses a large scale bomb to destroy his island after Team RWBY defeats him.
- Hammer - Used by Tock's associate
- Bow - Used by people in the past.
- Gauntlet - One of Lil' Miss Malachite's men uses a gauntlet in RWBY: Combat Ready.
- Atlesian Arachna Mines - the Atlesian military used Ada technology for target acquisition and threat detection to create the Atlesian Arachna Mines, bombs that could scuttle towards enemies.
- Atlas Bomb, from Volume 8, made to destroy Monstra, and capable of destroying Mantle.
World of Remnant[edit | edit source]
- Handgun - the representation of the Atlas in the World of Remnant episode "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Bladed weapons - the representation of Vale in the "Vytal Festival Tournament", a yellow and four gray figures representing huntsman in "Huntsmen".
- Staves - Used by Vytal Festival Tournament contestants in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Spears - Used by Vytal Festival Tournament contestants and the representation of Vacuo in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Flail - A "ball-and-chain" was used by a Vytal Festival Tournament contestant from Atlas in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- A large two-handed double-bladed axe wielded by a neutral huntsman in "Huntsman"
- Kunai - Used by a mercenary in Mistral (WoR episode).
RWBY Chibi[edit | edit source]
- Kitten Killer 9000 - Used by Cinder's Faction in RWBY Chibi.
- Death Ray - Used by Neo and Roman Torchwick in "Roman's Revenge", the 20th episode of RWBY Chibi.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When asked by a fan at the RTX 2013 RWBY Panel if there were going to be any weapons that would not double as a gun, Kerry Shawcross asked why they would want that, and then the panel continued on to state that they should actually create a "Gun-Gun".
- There is an entire weapons magazine that seems to be dedicated on articles regarding weapons, of which Ruby is apparently a fan, as she reads through Issue 228 at From Dust Till Dawn.
- In the original version of chapter 5, as the students are participating in the race, Glynda can be seen wielding a revolver almost identical to an original weapon made by Chriss Lee. This was later redrawn to have her holding her crop.
References[edit | edit source]
- RWBY Volume 1 Director's Commentary