Most often, they are based on real-life weapons, but they can be combined with other weapons or given additional features to increase their versatility and effectiveness in combat.
- 1 Design
- 2 List of Weapons
- 3 Other Weapons
- 3.1 Li Ren's Bow
- 3.2 Shay's Pistol
- 3.3 Dee's Club
- 3.4 Dudley's Rifle
- 3.5 Gillian's Bow
- 3.6 Jax's Sword
- 3.7 Umber's Whips
- 3.8 Mina's Shotgun-Axe
- 3.9 Marton's Club
- 3.10 Vermillion's Flail
- 3.11 Abigail's Scimitar
- 3.12 Edward's Buckler Shield
- 3.13 Xanthe Rumpole's Wheel
- 3.14 Olive's Awl Pike
- 3.15 Slate's Knife
- 4 Minor Weapons
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
Though standard weapons exist, the majority of weapons shown in RWBY are usually designed to be transformable, using a foldable frame - a framework capable of shifting various sections to change the weapon from one form into another in mere seconds. Weapons with a foldable frame possess two or more selected forms, and the wielder is capable of freely swapping between each weapon state depending on their needs.
Typically, such weapons would have both a melee state and a ranged combat state, but are not necessarily limited to those specific types of attacks while in each state. Weapons can also have an inactive state known as a "sheathed" form, locking and securing the weapon while outside of combat, similar to the safety catch of a firearm. For example, Crescent Rose and Ember Celica shrink down to be holstered and carried easily, while Crocea Mors and Gambol Shroud both have separate sheaths to make them easy to carry.
Some weapons are shown to be fueled by Dust for a more "magical" style of combat. By doing so, Huntsmen combine the brute force of the weapons themselves with effects like object enchantment and elemental attacks such as weather and nature manipulation.
Most of the known weapons incorporate Dust into their designs, either by utilizing Dust into an attack, as seen with Myrtenaster, or using Dust in the form of bullets or ammunition. It is implied that all "firearms" in Remnant use Dust ammunition.
While Dust is used in most weapons in the series, not all weapons use it like Gillian Asturias's due to her hatred of Dust.
These weapons, while nearly impossible to create in reality, seem to be moderately easy to construct for the citizens of Remnant. Ruby had to design and build her weapon during her time at Signal Academy, and she expressed surprise at Jaune Arc for not making his own, indicating this is a common practice among future Huntsmen in Remnant.
When not in use, some people carry their weapons attached to magnetic clamps on their body. Ruby has one on her belt, Ren has two hanging from his hips and Nora, Blake and Neptune have one on their backs.
List of Weapons
|Crescent Rose||Ruby Rose||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Scythe, Sniper-Rifle|
|Myrtenaster||Weiss Schnee||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Rapier, Revolver|
|Gambol Shroud||Blake Belladonna||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Katana, Cleaver, Pistol, Kusarigama|
|Ember Celica||Yang Xiao Long||Melee, Ranged||Gauntlet, Shotgun|
|Yang's Prosthetic Arm||Yang Xiao Long||Melee, Ranged||Prosthetic Arm, Gauntlet, Shotgun|
|Crocea Mors||Jaune Arc||Melee, Defensive, Dust||Longsword, Shield, Sheath|
|Magnhild||Nora Valkyrie||Melee, Ranged||War Hammer, Grenade Launcher|
|Miló and Akoúo̱||Pyrrha Nikos||Melee, Ranged, Defensive||Javelin, Xiphos, Rifle, Shield|
|StormFlower||Lie Ren||Melee, Ranged||Dual SMGs, Wind and Fire Blades, Grappling Hooks|
|Ren's Dagger||Lie Ren||Melee||Dagger|
|Gianduja||Coco Adel||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Handbag, Minigun|
|Sharp Retribution||Fox Alistair||Melee, Ranged||Tonfa|
|Anesidora||Velvet Scarlatina||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Box, Camera, Copy|
|The Executioner||Cardin Winchester||Melee, Dust||Mace|
|Shortwings||Russel Thrush||Melee, Dust||Daggers|
|Hallshott||Dove Bronzewing||Melee, Ranged||Sword, Revolver|
|Feather's Edge||Sky Lark||Melee, Ranged||Halberd|
|Ruyi Bang and Jingu Bang||Sun Wukong||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Staff, Nunchaku, Lever Action Shotgun|
|Hook and Darling||Scarlet David||Melee, Ranged||Flintlock Pistol, Cutlass, Grappling Hook|
|Tri-Hard||Neptune Vasilias||Ranged, Melee||Guandao, Trident, Rifle|
|Arslan's Weapon||Arslan Altan||Melee||Rope Dart, Dagger|
|Bolin's Staff||Bolin Hori||Melee||Staff, Blades|
|Reese's Hoverboard||Reese Chloris||Melee, Ranged||Hoverboard, Dual Revolvers|
|Nadir's Gun||Nadir Shiko||Ranged, Melee||Assault Rifle, Sword|
|Brawnz's Claws||Brawnz Ni||Melee||Claws|
|Roy's Saws||Roy Stallion||Melee, Ranged||Circular Saws|
|Nolan's Cattle Prod||Nolan Porfirio||Melee||Cattle Prod|
|May's Rifle||May Zedong||Ranged, Melee||Sniper Rifle, Axe|
|Nebula's Crossbow||Nebula Violette||Ranged, Melee||Crossbow, Sword|
|Dew's Spear||Dew Gayl||Melee, Dust||Spear|
|Gwen's Knives||Gwen Darcy||Ranged, Melee, Dust||Knives|
|Octavia's Dagger||Octavia Ember||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Kris|
|Flynt's Trumpet||Flynt Coal||Ranged, Dust||Trumpet|
|Neon's Nunchaku||Neon Katt||Melee, Dust||Nunchaku|
|The Long Memory||Oscar Pine||Melee, Magic||Walking Stick|
|The Disciplinarian||Glynda Goodwitch||Dust||Riding Crop|
|Blowhard||Peter Port||Melee, Ranged||Axe, Blunderbuss|
|Antiquity's Roast||Bartholomew Oobleck||Melee, Ranged||Thermos, Club, Flamethrower|
|Due Process||James Ironwood||Ranged, Dust||Revolvers|
|Winter's Swords||Winter Schnee||Melee, Dust||Sword|
|Floating Array (Formerly)||Penny Polendina||Melee, Ranged||Swords, Guns, Puppet Strings|
|Kingfisher||Clover Ebi||Melee, Utility||Fishing Pole|
|Fast Knuckles||Harriet Bree||Melee, Utility||Gauntlets|
|Fetch||Marrow Amin||Melee, Ranged||Boomerang, Rifle|
|Timber||Elm Ederne||Melee, Ranged||Hammer, Rocket Launcher|
|Thorn||Vine Zeki||Melee, Ranged||Throwing Star|
|Gravity Bolas||Ace Operatives||Utility||Bolas, Handcuffs|
|Tornado Grenade||Oscar Pine||Trap, Dust||Mine, Granade|
|Disc Grenade||Jaune Arc||Utility, Defense, Dust||Shield, Grenade|
|Atlas Bomb||James Ironwood||Explosive||Bomb|
|Robyn's Crossbow||Robyn Hill||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Crossbow, Shield|
|Happy Huntresses' Weapons||Happy Huntresses||Melee, Ranged||Crossbow, Staff|
|Omen||Raven Branwen||Melee, Dust||Ōdachi|
|Harbinger||Qrow Branwen||Melee, Ranged||Sword, Shotgun, Scythe|
|Stalwart||Leonardo Lionheart||Defensive, Ranged, Dust||Shield|
|Amber's Staff||Amber||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Staff|
|Ozma's Staff||Ozma||Ranged, Magic||Staff|
|Life and Death||Maria Calavera||Melee, Ranged||Scythe, Kamas, Pistols|
|Vernal's Weapons||Vernal||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Wind and Fire Blades, Gun|
|Junior's Bazooka||Junior Xiong||Melee, Ranged||Rocket Launcher, Club|
|Melanie's Heels||Melanie Malachite||Melee||High-heeled Boots|
|Miltia's Claws||Miltia Malachite||Melee||Claws|
|Midnight (Formerly)||Cinder Fall||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blades, Bow|
|Cinder's Weapons||Cinder Fall||Melee, Ranged, Magic||Various|
|Melodic Cudgel||Roman Torchwick||Ranged, Melee||Cane, Flare Gun, Grappling Hook|
|Thief's Respite||Emerald Sustrai||Melee, Ranged||Dual Revolvers, Sickles, Kusarigama|
|Talaria||Mercury Black||Melee, Ranged||Boots, Guns|
|Hush||Neopolitan||Melee, Defensive||Umbrella, Estoc, Shield|
|The Queen's Servants||Tyrian Callows||Melee, Ranged||Wrist Blades, Guns|
|Watts' Revolver||Arthur Watts||Ranged, Dust||Revolver|
|Watts' Rings||Arthur Watts||Utility, Defensive, Dust||Rings, Hacking, Shield|
|Wilt and Blush||Adam Taurus||Melee, Ranged||Rifle, Chokutō|
|Lieutenant's Chainsaw||White Fang Lieutenant||Melee||Chainsaw|
|Lightning Lash||Ilia Amitola||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blade, Whip, Gun|
|Cyclone and Inferno||Corsac Albain, Fennec Albain||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Dagger, Wand|
|Cerberus Whip||Sienna Khan||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Blade, Whip|
|Carmine's Weapons||Carmine Esclados||Melee, Ranged||Sai, Double-sided trident|
|Rhodes' Weapons||Rhodes, Cinder Fall||Melee, Ranged||Maces, Swords, Guns|
|Rasen||Pyke Rite||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Drill cannon|
|Windlass||Arrastra Skye||Melee, Ranged, Dust||Pickaxe, Crossbow|
|Fortune's Fangs||Asher Mora||Melee, Dust, Utility||Swordbreakers, Glaive, Grappling Hook|
|Pandora's Aegis||Fenix Nemean||Melee, Defensive||Brass claws, Arm shields|
Li Ren's Bow
Li Ren was the father of Lie Ren and a resident of Kuroyuri. He and his bow appeared in the episode "Kuroyuri". He was a hunter that gathered food for the city and used a bow. He used the bow when the Nuckelavee and other Grimm attacked the city. He faced the Nuckelavee, but it was ineffective and he was killed. Years later one of his arrows was found by Ren and Nora in the Nuckelavee's cave.
The bow is green, brown and gold and shares the aesthetic that Li, An and Ren all have. The arrow resembles a fleur-de-lis.
The revolver appears to have been damaged multiple times as it has scratches all over and is partially held together by bits of red wire. The handle is a brass knuckle and the bottom features a blade for melee combat. The entire handle section is held together with string and wire.
The pistol has a tendency to jam, which happened when he attacked Yang Xiao Long with some other bandits.
Dee was a Huntsman seen in "Argus Limited" that worked on the Argus Limited train. He used a large club that was able to expand, spin and generate electricity. The weapon was ineffective against the fast, flying Manticores which lead to his death at their claws.
The club resembles the Japanese Kanabō club.
Dudley is a Huntsman seen in "Argus Limited" that works on the Argus Limited train. His weapon of choice is a rifle, and he uses it to defend the train against the Manticores.
Her weapon was a simple bow and arrow due to her hatred of technology. It also utilized no Dust in combat.
Jax Asturias was a member of The Crown from RWBY: Before the Dawn.
His weapon of choice was a simple sword, theorized to be an ancient sword from old Vacuo. However, he lacks much skill using it.
Umber Gorgoneion was a member of The Crown from RWBY: Before the Dawn.
Umber's weapon of choice was a series of whips. She can throw numerous whips at an opponent in order to restrain them, which Fox Alistair likens to a spider covering its prey with webs. She is also a skilled cage fighter, being able to hold her own in unarmed combat
She uses it in RWBY: Before the Dawn.
The whips might allude to the snake theme of Umber's allusion of the Greek Medusa.
She wields a shotgun-axe as her weapon. The weapon is silver, black and brown. The top has a silver plate that matches Mina's armor.
Mina also has a Semblance that allows her to produce spider webs as weapons.
Marton is a member of Team SMMK from RWBY: The Grimm Campaign.
Marton wields a club which uses Dust to cause smokefields.
Vermillion Raddock fights using a 30-foot flail, combining the weapon with his own superhuman strength and reflexes in battle.
Edward's Buckler Shield
Edward Caspian wields a small buckler shield with a removable metal blade attached to it, and it has a gun mounted onto it. The shield is very durable, withstanding several blows from Bertilak's weapon.
Xanthe Rumpole's Wheel
Xanthe Rumpole's weapon is a spiked wheel that is kept hidden beneath her hair. The golden cord that keeps her braid bound is a part of the wheel, which she can use to spin and find at will. Rumpole can also use the cord to bind targets.
Her weapon can be a reference to Rumplestiltskin, with her wheel and golden corde weapon being an allusion to the spindle wheel used by Rumplestilskin to turn the straw into gold.
Olive's Awl Pike
Olive Gashley's weapon of choice is an awl pike which uses Gravity Dust to improve her attacks.
Slate's weapon of choice is a Hunting Knife.
- Handgun - Handguns used by the Henchmen, Vale Police Department detectives, White Fang Goons and Atlesian soldiers.
- Tommy Gun - The standard firearm wielded by the DJ in Junior's Club.
- Red-gray rifle - Briefly used by a Henchman in "Ruby Rose" and also used by White Fang Goons.
- Rifle - Standard issue for the Atlesian military. Used by the Atlesian Knight-200 series in "Breach". Also seen slung over the backs of Atlesian soldiers.
- Rifle - Used by the Branwen Tribe.
- Rifle - Used by members of Tock's crew.
- Rifle - Used by soldiers in the Volume 6 Adam Character Short.
- Pistol - Used by the Menagerie Guard and Kali Belladonna. Used by Ilia Amitola's associate in the Volume 5 Blake Character Short. One is seen in the Adam Character Short.
- Revolver - Glynda uses a gun to start a race in the DC comic.
Swords, Knives and Axes
- Swords - Used by White Fang Goons.
- Foldable sword - Atlesian soldiers.
- Fire Sword - Mentioned by Ruby in "The Shining Beacon" as being wielded by an unseen Beacon Academy student.
- Shotel - Used by White Fang member in "Battle of Beacon".
- Swords and axes - Used by people in the ancient past.
- Axes and red swords - The various weapons wielded by the Henchmen.
- Sword - Used by the Branwen Tribe.
- Knife - Trifa's weapon of choice.
- Switchblade - Sold in Menagerie.
- Collapsible Staff - Mentioned by Ruby in "The Shining Beacon" as being wielded by an unseen Beacon student.
- Spear - Used by the Menagerie Guard.
- Spear - Used by the White Fang Royal Guard.
- Club - used by the Faunus of Menagerie.
Heavy Weapons, Emplacements, and Vehicle Weapons
- Chaingun - The Atlesian Dropship is equipped with chin-mounted Gatling cannons.
- Rocket Launcher - Used by an Atlas Soldier in Dark.
- Cannons - The Ship has port cannons and a heavy cannon for dealing with Grimm out at sea.
- Turrets - Used by the Argus Limited as a defense against Grimm.
- Atlesian Beam Turret - Developed by Atlas after the Fall of Beacon.
- Atlesian Burrow Gun - Developed by Atlas after the Fall of Beacon.
- Dust Cannon - The right arm of the Colossus.
- Missile Laucher - On the Colossus' right arm.
- Minigun - RWBY: World of Remnant - Between Kingdoms.
- Bombs - White Fang used bombs in their attack on Vale and on Haven.
- Bomb - Doctor Merlot uses a large scale bomb to destroy his island after Team RWBY defeats him.
- Hammer - Used by Tock's associate
- Bow - Used by people in the past.
- Gauntlet - One of Lil' Miss Malachite's men uses a gauntlet in RWBY: Combat Ready.
- Atlesian Arachna Mines - the Atlesian military used Ada technology for target acquisition and threat detection to create the Atlesian Arachna Mines, bombs that could scuttle towards enemies.
World of Remnant
- Handgun - the representation of the Atlas in the World of Remnant episode "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Bladed weapons - the representation of Vale in the "Vytal Festival Tournament", a yellow and four gray figures representing huntsman in "Huntsmen".
- Staves - Used by Vytal Festival Tournament contestants in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Spears - Used by Vytal Festival Tournament contestants and the representation of Vacuo in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- Flail - A "ball-and-chain" was used by a Vytal Festival Tournament contestant from Atlas in "Vytal Festival Tournament".
- A large two-handed double-bladed axe wielded by a neutral huntsman in "Huntsman"
- Kunai - Used by a mercenary in Mistral (WoR episode).
- Kitten Killer 9000 - Used by Cinder's Faction in RWBY Chibi.
- Death Ray - Used by Neo and Roman Torchwick in "Roman's Revenge", the 20th episode of RWBY Chibi.
- When asked by a fan at the RTX 2013 RWBY Panel if there were going to be any weapons that would not double as a gun, Kerry Shawcross asked why they would want that, and then the panel continued on to state that they should actually create a "Gun-Gun".
- There is an entire weapons magazine that seems to be dedicated on articles regarding weapons, of which Ruby is apparently a fan, as she reads through Issue 228 at From Dust Till Dawn.
- In the original version of chapter 5, as the students are participating in the race, Glynda can be seen wielding a revolver almost identical to an original weapon made by Chriss Lee. This was later redrawn to have her holding her crop.
- After Vermillion Raddock becomes the new leader of the Hana Guild, he stops the organization from dealing with narcotics and switches to dealing with weapons instead.
- RWBY Volume 1 Director's Commentary