Vernal was a character in RWBY introduced in "Unforeseen Complications" who served as a secondary antagonist in Volume 5. She was a bandit in the Branwen Tribe and posed as a decoy for the Spring Maiden. Her weapons of choice were wind and fire blades.
Vernal was a young woman with tan-colored skin, short brown hair and icy blue eyes. She had a tattoo of a bird rising from flowers on her left arm. She wore a light brown vest with dark brown panels on the top and a dark brown buckled strap on the back, over a torn white shirt that was partially unbuttoned revealing what appeared to be a black bra, alongside a collar that appears to be slightly turned up behind her neck.
Vernal wore maroon-colored jeans with the right side rolled up to her thigh revealing the dark pink lining alongside a brown belt with a pouch attached to the right side. She also wore dark brown calf guards with one having a garter styled strap that went under her rolled-up pant leg. She wore a pair of beige and dark brown lace-up boots with folded over sides, showing over the white lining accompanied by a pair of maroon socks that partially covered her calf guards.
She wore dark brown fingerless gloves of different sizes, with the right being wrist length with a large cuff whilst the other was elbow length and covered with a dark brown vambrace. Lastly, she wore a narrow dark brown choker strap around her neck.
Vernal was shown to be highly confident, and takes pride in being a member of the Branwen Tribe. She was visibly irritated by Weiss Schnee's comments about her and her fellow bandits. She enjoyed teasing hostages, indicating she possesses a substantial cruel streak. She liked Myrtenaster, for she showed hesitation in giving it up. She only relinquished the weapon at Raven's request, showing she holds her in high regards, like the other tribe members. She was loyal enough to be Raven's decoy, despite the target it put on her back.
As a member of the Branwen Tribe, she had a history of partaking in raids on villages and caravans.
Powers and Abilities
In "The More the Merrier", Vernal displayed her combat ability during her fight against Weiss. She was shown to be intuitive, keeping Weiss on the defensive to prevent her from Summoning.
- Main article: Vernal's Weapons
Vernal's weapon of choice were her Ring-Shaped Blades, which were capable of firing Lightning Dust, they were powerful enough to slice through Weiss' Arma Gigas' head with ease, and break through her Aura rapidly.
After capturing Weiss Schnee, Vernal was shown to have taken Myrtenaster from Weiss, implying that Vernal had a degree of skill in swordsmanship or fencing to make use of her weapon.
- "Vernal" is something that is occurring in or relating to the springtime, which is a reference to her role as the decoy Spring Maiden.
- Like many people in the world of Remnant, her name follows the Color Naming Rule. Vernal is something that is occurring in or relating to the springtime.
- According to Kerry Shawcross, "Vernal" is actually not her real name, but an identity she took on when acting as the decoy Spring Maiden for Raven. Her real name remains unknown.
- Vernal didn't have a last name because she didn't want one. She once had a different name, but once she became Raven's decoy, she changed it.
- based on concept art compared to Weiss' offical height
- CRWBY Reddit AMA
- Volume 5 Directors' Commentary Chapter 3