Throughout the production of a series, a lot goes on behind the scenes in regards to planning and design, which often go through multiple stages before resulting in the final version that is seen on screen. Some concepts and ideas can have an effect on the show and characters, and unexpected occurrences during production can also lead to changes and additions to the plans for the show.
Velvet Scarlatina alludes to the stuffed rabbit in the children's book The Velveteen Rabbit. This allusion has had the following influences on the character and show:
- She is a rabbit Faunus.
- In the story, the child who owns the titular stuffed rabbit becomes ill with scarlet fever, which is sometimes referred to as "scarlatina" in old literature. Velvet's full name references this and the story's title.
- In order to fulfill Team CFVY's sweets-naming rule, Velvet's name is also an allusion to red velvet cake.
Velvet's emblem is a stitched heart. This emblem appears on some of Velvet's possessions:
- Battle outfit - on the left side of her chest.
- Weapon - on the side of the box.
- Weapon - on her camera's shutter.
Velvet's battle outfit was designed by a fan in a contest hosted by Rooster Teeth. The winning design, by Rooster Teeth user MUNNKIE, was announced in the first Volume 2 Production Diary and was chosen from approximately 1,300 entries. Rooster Teeth used the contest as an opportunity to show the production process from concept art to computer model in their second Volume 2 Production Diary. During the second Production Diary, Patrick Rodriguez draws concept art for a slightly modified version of the winning design.
Three changes were made to the design:
- The main color was changed from teal to brown.
- More stitched lines were added to the stitched heart emblem.
- Gold-colored bracers were added to her wrists.
- Velvet's involvement in the series was originally going to be limited to her two appearances in Volume 1. However, fans loved her so much that Monty Oum, Miles Luna, and Kerry Shawcross decided to keep her. Instead of designing a battle outfit for her themselves, they held a contest for fans to design it.
- The crew "almost went with a dude with an elephant trunk" to demonstrate Faunus discrimination, but they put forth Velvet instead.
- Velvet has an Australian accent because her voice actress, Caiti Ward, is Australian.
Velvet Design Contest
Velvet's battle outfit was designed by a fan in a contest hosted by Rooster Teeth with the winning design made by Rooster Teeth user MUNNKIE being used in the show. The design was chosen out of approximately 1,300 others. During the RWBY Volume 2 production diary, some of the unused designs were shown off.