- For the other uses of "Vacuo", see Vacuo.
Vacuo is the capital city of the Kingdom of Vacuo.
The city of Vacuo is where Shade Academy is located. It is described as being a labyrinth of alleyways that all look identical.
Unlike Vale or Atlas, which were brought about with civic planning and organized development, Vacuo is rather maze-like, composed primarily of improvised structures and crude architecture. Due to the unstable nature of the city's foundations, entire sections of Vacuo can be destroyed very quickly by sandstorms, massive sinkholes, earthquakes, heavy rainstorms and Grimm attacks. Consequently, much of Vacuo's construction is relatively recent, particularly near the city's outer wall. Despite these complications, the city has maintained a semblance of order in its layout, with separate districts for residences and businesses and a wide street through the center of Vacuo for use as a marketplace.
Shade Academy dominates the city's skyline, its sturdy construction and distinct aesthetic setting it apart form the rest of the city, both figuratively and literally. Vacuo's primary Cross Continental Transmit System Tower is located at the Academy's peak.
City Vacuans hold a large resentment towards other Kingdoms in the city. Beacon students were only begrudgingly accepted, which had an ugly reaction from Vacuo citizens - Coco Adel notes this is reminiscent of the Great War in which people were discriminated against by kingdom of origin.
In the center of the vast desert of Sanus was an oasis unlike anything you've ever seen: A jungle bursting with natural resources, geographical defenses, and the world's largest recorded deposit of Dust. Nomads that survived the journey across the scorching sands settled down in this little hidden gem, and over time, the Kingdom of Vacuo thrived.
Unfortunately, comfort breeds weakness. While the rest of Remnant had to learn and adapt in order to survive, Vacuo's ancient society kicked back and lived a life of complacency. But when other, more developed Kingdoms set their eyes on everything Vacuo had to offer, its citizens couldn't do anything to stop them from taking it.
Years of Human conflict, unrestricted mining, and ecological disasters have changed Vacuo. The paradise that was once there's now practically indistinguishable from the surrounding deserts. Citizens live in makeshift homes, uprooting and traveling frequently in response to the fleeting resources and occasional attacks from the creatures of Grimm.
After the Great War, a formal government was finally established, but by that point the folks living in Vacuo didn't care to uphold its laws, making Shade Academy the only real source of order in the Kingdom. But order isn't everything.
- Main article: Shade Academy
Shade Academy was founded by the King of Vale. It serves to train future Huntsmen and Huntresses and secretly houses one of the four ancient Relics.
During The Crown's attack in RWBY: Before the Dawn, the city of Vacuo is united under Sun Wukong's message, revealing that the criminal organization had been responsible for the mass abductions throughout the Kingdom. They band together and fight The Crown's army, celebrating in victory.
Later, the people of Vacuo receive Ruby's message to all of Remnant publicly revealing the existence of Salem and asking for help with the situation in Atlas. In the end though, nobody came as Atlas is destroyed in "The Final Word". However, the surviving citizens of Atlas and Mantle were able to evacuate to an area right outside the city before being attacked by the Grimm, which were eventually taken care of by Winter Schnee.
- Downtown Vacuo - a city hotspot known for the clubs and restaurants that entertain the locals at night.
- Starr Sanzang's Dojo
- The Weeping Wall
- Bug Burger
- The Old District
- The Pits
- Grimm Watch
- Gust Winds
- Shade Academy - Huntsman Academy
- Grimm Watch - A loose partnership between local authorities and low-rent Huntsmen to keep the monsters from breaching the city.
- The Weeping Wall - The Weeping Wall is a large 10 feet long, 3 feet thick, and 40 foot high wall in the city, which is build out of a porous stone that draws up water from the ground. Vacuans sell the water, branding it as "Vacuo's Tears." Nearby, there is a shrine filled with items such as toys, flowers, etc. with posters of missing people of all ages and groups.
- Starr Sanzang's Dojo - a dojo owned by Sun Wukong's older cousin, Starr.
- The Pits - a nightclub in the old district referred to as such by locals due to all the sandpits and traps that could grab someone who didn't watch where they were going.
- Green Spaces - The Green Spaces are reserved parks scattered throughout the city of Vacuo, used to replicate the kingdom's original lush, tropical geography.
- Nightclubs - Sun Wukong faces Pink, Brown, and Green outside a nightclub, after the trio stalks a woman in the middle of the night.
- Bug Burger - a restaurant hotspot known for serving burgers.
- Finn Asturias' Home.