FANDOM


  • I've been theorizing as I scrolled through the wiki, and I had a question I genuinely didn't know the answer to. I've decided to ask any of you: What do you think the reason was for Raven going to Taiyang at the end of Volume 5 (besides just to leave Haven Academy).

    By this I mean, what did she intend to be with him for? Most discussion on this wiki ends with the final say that Raven did not just use Tai as a means to portal away from Haven. The scene at the end means that there is more to Raven and Tai- they will have at least one scene together in Volume 6.

    So my question is thusly, what do you think Raven went to Taiyang for?

    • Is she escaping from her problems with him but sticking around him now that her tribe is toast (easy pickings for Salem, who doesn't like loose ends.)
    • Will she step up to Yang's words and act courageous, bringing Taiyang with her this time?
    • Is that shot from the Volume 6 trailer of the floating figure in a forest... on Patch, where Raven/Taiyang will intercept them?
    • Will Raven and Taiyang have "A Much Needed Talk" in which the story delves into some STRQ backstory?
    • Will Raven tell him that a Relic is out of a chamber, making Taiyang want to go protect his girls who will very much need said protection?

    Consensus is that it wasn't just a one-off gag Volume 5 postcredit scene. How do you think it will inform Volume 6? Do you agree with any of the above bullet points or do you think something else will happen (or both?)

    Let us speculate.

      Loading editor
    • I think it's a few reasons aside from just using him as a portal.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe she's heading to Summer's grave and will talk to her.

      I guess that she might have finally realized how much of a coward and of a hypocrite she has become and that she sacrificied her relationship with her family and friends and her chances to have a better life for nuts and she might be going to search herself and to try to grow back a spine.

        Loading editor
    • @Masma93, I could see that. It would be a scene in the first two episodes if it were the case, and they would use it as a way to get deeper into Summer/STRQ backstory.

        Loading editor
    • Oh they're definitely gonna have "A Much Needed Talk", because Raven needs to know how much she's hurt her family, especially Tai, by her disappearance.  Only then can she hope to earn back his trust, which won't be easy by any means but it'll a heck of a lot easier than gaining back Qrow's trust at this point.  And I daresay once Tai learns about what happened to the last Spring Maiden, he'll grill Raven over that ie "What if you found Yang lacking, would you have killed her too?"  Because Raven doesn't seem to have the patience to be a good teacher, so returning to the field would be more suitable in her case.

      And I'm certain Raven will tell Tai that his children are getting in over their heads and that they need his help.  Hopefully she comes as well, because fighting for Yang's sake is more believable than trying to "save the world."

      OT: And if Tai does go to help his kids, I hope he finally gets to confront Qrow on going behind his back like he did in Volume 3, I get peeved when supposedly heroic characters don't get called out when they act underhanded.

      Back on topic, and I certainly hope we get a Team STRQ flashback through this, something akin to Ren's flashback in Volume 4, that would be so wonderful, and we'd finally get to hear Summer speak at long last.  Can't wait for it.

        Loading editor
    • My guess is that Yang's 'Why You Suck' speech has sort of knocked Raven's legs out from underneath her. The only person she still trusts to tell her the truth and no just hand her over to the authorities before or afterwards is Tai. So she's going to him in the hope that he will help her rediscover who she really wants to be rather than the caricature of duty she's currently playing out.

        Loading editor
    • I guess she just needs someone to talk to after that terrible, heartbreaking confrontation with her daughter. Hopefully, things go well and RWBY will gain two allies, cause from the looks of things and what we've learned about Salem, they need all the help they can get. I've had my fill of the Raven hate anyway and will be happy once the scolding's out of the way.

        Loading editor
    • You know, I kind of do hope you're right, but only partly.

      It would be so satifying to see her come looking for sympathy, only for Tai to say that he's had it. If he hears how Raven treated their daughter, we might get to see him fight oustide of simple hand to hand training.

        Loading editor
    • Sentry 616 wrote: You know, I kind of do hope you're right, but only partly.

      It would be so satifying to see her come looking for sympathy, only for Tai to say that he's had it. If he hears how Raven treated their daughter, we might get to see him fight oustide of simple hand to hand training.

      • gritted teeth*

      That's not what I meant.

        Loading editor
    • I know, but it gave me an idea.

        Loading editor
    • She'll really need to find a good argument to convince Tai to let her stay or to help her once he discovers than she sold Yang, Ruby and Qrow to save her own skin.

        Loading editor
    • Masma93 wrote:
      She'll really need to find a good argument to convince Tai to let her stay or to help her once he discovers than she sold Yang, Ruby and Qrow to save her own skin.

      True, but considering over two weeks has passed (according to Team RWBY's timeline) since the Battle of Haven. said argument has probably already happened, just not shown. I do hope they show it, so we're not left to play guessing games.  And now that we've seen what Team WTCH is up to, it'd be one of the only remaining sidestories this season, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

        Loading editor
    • Alhazad2003 wrote:

      Masma93 wrote:
      She'll really need to find a good argument to convince Tai to let her stay or to help her once he discovers than she sold Yang, Ruby and Qrow to save her own skin.

      True, but considering over two weeks has passed (according to Team RWBY's timeline) since the Battle of Haven. said argument has probably already happened, just not shown. I do hope they show it, so we're not left to play guessing games.  And now that we've seen what Team WTCH is up to, it'd be one of the only remaining sidestories this season, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

      Events shown in the same RWBY episodes do not always happen at the same time, for example Menagerie events depicted in the second half of Volume 5 happened at least two weeks before the battle at Haven.

        Loading editor
    • Besides it would be difficult to see Taiyang accepting to allow Raven to stay in his house and to help her without seeing at least their first meeting after all these years.

        Loading editor
    • Masma93 wrote: Besides it would be difficult to see Taiyang accepting to allow Raven to stay in his house and to help her without seeing at least their first meeting after all these years.

      Lol, now I kinda want to see them make an hour long V6 RWBY sitcom spinoff of Raven couch-surfing at Tai's... for no reason(which he realizes at the end).

        Loading editor
    • Plus Taiyang will surely know that something really bad happened for Raven to come back to him after abandonning him and Yang years ago and it's unlikely than he will accept to really talk to Raven without her giving him at least an explanation of what happened.

        Loading editor
    • Masma93 wrote:
      Besides it would be difficult to see Taiyang accepting to allow Raven to stay in his house and to help her without seeing at least their first meeting after all these years.

      Which is why I hope they do show it, hopefully before the mid-season finale.  As I've said before, it's not something they can afford to gloss over, not after the Volume 5 stinger scene.

      As for what she can do to start regaining his trust, well they could definitely use the help in finally reclaiming Beacon from the Grimm, as long as that Dragon's there, Grimm will continue to keep being drawn to the ruins of Beacon.  Plus it'll help restore her reputation among the Beacon faculty, I can imagine quite a few of them have less than pleasant memories of her, especially Glynda for all the times she dared question Ozpin.  That would be hilarious to watch, looking forward to her next appearance.

        Loading editor
    • It's pretty clear that Tai was annoyed when he realised that Raven had turned up. I think that she would need to be able to offer some kind of explanation before he gave her more than emergency assistance.

      For what it's worth, I suspect that she said something like this: "I... I sold our little girl to Salem, Tai. I worked with that devil because I was too scared to fight her! What...? What does that say about me? How can I find my way back from that?"

        Loading editor
    • I have always thought that if Taiyang's father is alive, that he would be far more vocal than Taiyang and Qrow in how he sees Raven and that he wouldn't even bother to hide his dislike and disdain of his ex-daughter in law for abandonning his son and granddaughter to return in the bandit tribe and that he would outright call her a spineless, pathetic and despicable woman to her and Taiyang's faces.

        Loading editor
    • Something I would like to see would be Raven meeting with a version of Ozpin who's like Professor X in X-Men Days of the Future Past with him being bitter, cynical, sarcastic, patronazing and misanthropic who would put her at her place when she criticize him with sarcastic and patronizing jabs, for example if she says that she was right to not trust him he would congratulate her for being right for once in her life.

        Loading editor
    • Though Raven merely using her ex-lover as a means of escape is the most plausible reason why she did that, it wouldnt hurt to have a scene where she and Tai talk it out, or even with Summer at her grave at least.

        Loading editor
    • Gemmaniac wrote: Though Raven merely using her ex-lover as a means of escape is the most plausible reason why she did that, it wouldnt hurt to have a scene where she and Tai talk it out, or even with Summer at her grave at least.

      I think that she's sincere this time and she has now really realized than she's a coward and a hypocrite and than she fucked her relations wit her friends and family for nuts just because she wanted to save her own skin.


      I think that she'll at least sincerely try to become better than what she has been for eighteen years in her life.

        Loading editor
    • Masma93 wrote:

      Gemmaniac wrote: Though Raven merely using her ex-lover as a means of escape is the most plausible reason why she did that, it wouldnt hurt to have a scene where she and Tai talk it out, or even with Summer at her grave at least.

      I think that she's sincere this time and she has now really realized than she's a coward and a hypocrite and than she fucked her relations wit her friends and family for nuts just because she wanted to save her own skin.


      I think that she'll at least sincerely try to become better than what she has been for eighteen years in her life.

      We get it already! She's a coward and a hypocrite! She think she doesn't know that?! You think she hasn't had enough people tell her that?! Her own daughter told her off and now Tai probably has too! When is it enough for all of you?!

        Loading editor
    • Masma93 wrote: Something I would like to see would be Raven meeting with a version of Ozpin who's like Professor X in X-Men Days of the Future Past with him being bitter, cynical, sarcastic, patronazing and misanthropic who would put her at her place when she criticize him with sarcastic and patronizing jabs, for example if she says that she was right to not trust him he would congratulate her for being right for once in her life.

      that would require time travel to be a thing... and Oz would have to want to waste time meeting with her over say... solving Salem issues before they happen during an older incarnation.

        Loading editor
    • Bluethunder25 wrote:

      Masma93 wrote:

      Gemmaniac wrote: Though Raven merely using her ex-lover as a means of escape is the most plausible reason why she did that, it wouldnt hurt to have a scene where she and Tai talk it out, or even with Summer at her grave at least.

      I think that she's sincere this time and she has now really realized than she's a coward and a hypocrite and than she fucked her relations wit her friends and family for nuts just because she wanted to save her own skin.


      I think that she'll at least sincerely try to become better than what she has been for eighteen years in her life.

      We get it already! She's a coward and a hypocrite! She think she doesn't know that?! When is it enough for all of you?!

      When you actually believe what you just said. When you internalize and understand why you were wasting your time defending her.

        Loading editor
    • "Do you think she hasn't had enough people tell her that?"

      Yang has. Yang is the only person who has verbally challenged her. Qrow's conversation with her in Higanbana was tense, but the only thing he called her out on was her definition of family and unwillingness to be with Yang/himself. He never spoke of cowardice.

      There is a difference between berating Raven and calling things for what they are. Look. I don't hate Raven. I have no reason to think poorly of Raven as a human being because she's not real. She's a character. Any talking-down people do of Raven is within the lens of fiction. I love Raven as a character. She's done a lot of good for the conflict/suspense, and she will continue to. I don't like what she's done to others, but you're acting like this is personal. This is a show.

        Loading editor
    • I would very much love to see them talking about what happened, with Raven seeking Tai's forgiveness, which leads to a flashback of how she first met Tai and Summer, and how Tai and Summer fell for each other.

        Loading editor
    • ... and while they're at it, Yang's mother and father can say they're Yang's mother and father to help blow the Qrow theory out.

        Loading editor
    • RaijinRising wrote:
      ... and while they're at it, Yang's mother and father can say they're Yang's mother and father to help blow the Qrow theory out.

      It would take something like that to shut up the Qrow is Ruby's dad fans. 

        Loading editor
    • Ltmaroon57 wrote:
      RaijinRising wrote:
      ... and while they're at it, Yang's mother and father can say they're Yang's mother and father to help blow the Qrow theory out.
      It would take something like that to shut up the Qrow is Ruby's dad fans. 

      Yet even that might not convince them, as the theory has already been debunked by the show's writers, twice, and still people don't believe them.  They're so convinced that they're right that nothing will prove them otherwise, not even the truth.  And they'll eventually become disillusioned as the story strays even farther from their headcanon and drop the show.  Though they'll be the ones missing out, not us.

        Loading editor
    • i still think she left the moment she arrived on the island, sure its possible she didnt, but thats not what i think happened.

        Loading editor
    • Basically the same here. I think she just picked the farthest point she could reach.

        Loading editor
    • i completely 100% agree

        Loading editor
    • Further and further into the volume, it's looking like that's true. To be honest, I personally thought she was taking advantage of him but thought I would open the discussion. 

        Loading editor
    • I'd be more than a bit disappointed if she simply kept on going after reaching Patch.  This can't realy be the end of her role in the story, can it?  So she's not gonna even try to become a better person and correct her horrible mistakes?  It'd be one thing if she was getting her head on straight at long last, but if she's not gonna bother with even that then I wonder what was the purpose of her surviving Haven.  If there was no point to her prolonged presence in the story then CRWBY could've easily had her die in Haven, letting her escape like this really seems like an easy way out.  And she's had too many easy way outs already.  

        Loading editor
    • there's no need to kill her off, even if her story is over, characters are written out of shows without killing them all the time.

        Loading editor
    • She'll be around. I just don't think she'll be around much this volume. Her role in the plot as the Spring Maiden is not of use now because the Lamp is out of the Vault, but that doesn't mean she still doesn't have a personal journey or that she can't be of use to the plot anymore. She'll be around.

        Loading editor
    • if nothing else she's kind of RWBY's rapid transit plot device of opportunity

        Loading editor
    • transit to only 3 locations ?

        Loading editor
    • they're all characters either in the thick of things or elsewhere, so it's not like that's an issue... hell if they really needed to split the party that's still 2 different battlefronts and an escape route.

      So when we're all htf did they get back to Vale this fast? Raven.

      How did they survive xyz? Raven.

      An escape route/excuse is not a crutch a pro writer wastes easily no matter how bad or good they are.

        Loading editor
    • qrow and yang would close to eachother, escaping from 1 to the other makes no sense, and if to taiyang they'd have to travel halfway back across the world.

        Loading editor
    • Super saiyan swagger wrote: qrow and yang would close to eachother, escaping from 1 to the other makes no sense...

      if to taiyang they'd have to travel halfway back across the world.

      1. no? I don't see how you can't see the opportunity for the party to fall in a trap without Qrow, or for a bird to escape whereas humans can't.

      2. Vale and Mistral are both pretty far from Atlas, the only thing Mistral is really closer to is the Argus outpost.

      3. I'm talking about the entire RWBY timeline, not V6, because if Raven dies, it excludes her from ALL future events, including the endgame... and as Goku in DBZ shows with Frieza and Cell, any sort of rapid transit over extreme distances can allow one to completely change the game.

        Loading editor
    • After all the yelling and scolding is done, I would like to see how they train. It would give some insight to their days in Team STRQ. I would love to see what combination moves they come up with and use them against Salem.

        Loading editor
    • if either of them is actually going to fight you mean, or train for that matter.

        Loading editor
    • They’re working on getting Yang and Ruby a sibling.

        Loading editor
    • that would be a surprise the next time they come home.

        Loading editor
    • Super saiyan swagger wrote: that would be a surprise the next time they come home.

      Yang: "Raven!?! WTF are you doing here?

      Tai: "Surprise!"

      Raven: "we're making you a younger sibling"

      Yang: "She sold us out to Salem"

      Tai: "…"

      Raven "surprise!"

      is about how I imagine that would go.

        Loading editor
    • I personally believe that in the very end of the series. For Raven's conclusion, she will die against Salem to save Yang.

      Which means for this to happen. From now to the end of the series is going to have Raven facing the consequences of her choices, thrown back in her face and being discarded and she'll try (for at least a while) to win back to those who's she turned her back on. And then give up on them.


      Then she'll go face Salem when the time comes, like when she hears that Yang is fighting against her or something, then she'll give her life to save Yang from Salem which would also discover a crucial weakness in bringing Salem down.

      I've seen this a lot in other series and its a very popular trope to use for a character with the attitude of Ravens. This is where I think her story is heading.

      I'm deeply sorry Yang. 

        Loading editor
    • 0551E80Y wrote:
      I personally believe that in the very end of the series. For Raven's conclusion, she will die against Salem to save Yang.

      Because her last thought will be of Yang, Yang will also become the new Spring Maiden.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      0551E80Y wrote:
      I personally believe that in the very end of the series. For Raven's conclusion, she will die against Salem to save Yang.
      Because her last thought will be of Yang, Yang will also become the new Spring Maiden.

      ahem, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

        Loading editor
    • I would reccomend not to get too attached to Raven. To lessen the pain of losing her when the time comes.

        Loading editor
    • Most of us won't miss the big chicken. We stopped being attached when she stopped being interesting/mysterious. She's really not all that compelling, so unless she goes down in a particularly brutal/sadistic (soliciting basic human empathy because of how much she sufferss) or epic way (well at least she went out swinging on a high note), we're not going to be moved all that much by her death.



      Instead, maybe We slowly realize that Yang inherited the power without seeing Raven's demise. It would be a gamble, but it could work. Plan C: Raven kills herself to spite Salem and send the power to someone who can hurt her enemy. That might actually earn Raven some last minute respect.

        Loading editor
    • Well, she could end up being the Severus Snape of this franchise, where after her death, it shows flashbacks of her doing stuff with the main cast, especially Yang before her death without them noticing it, that could make the fanbase believe, she was the best character ever.

        Loading editor
    • I wouldn't compare her to Snape, Snape was Dumbledore's spy into Voldemort's inner circle and one of his most trusted advisors and agents if not his most, being even aware of things and Dumbledore's plans that no one in the Order of the Phoenix was aware of except him while Raven completely deserted Ozpin and her family's side. Also Snape was never a coward and fought against Voldemort in memory of Lily while Raven is a coward and never considered fighting again against Salem after Summer's death and was willing to sacrifice her own brother and daughter to save her own skin.

        Loading editor
    • I would prefer they use her for STRQ flashbacks, as her POV would be especially interesting to see them from.

        Loading editor
    • I'm just saying that could easily do that with a bunch of cutscenes. And the point about snape is that all that wasn't revealed until after his death in the final book. Raven could follow the same formula.

      Right now she is seen as the peter pettigrew of rwby but that could easily flip flop.

        Loading editor
    • Even before the big reveal there were still hints of Snape's true loyalty and also he never tried to run from the conflict between Dumbledore and Voldemort while there have been no hints of Raven having any loyalty left to Ozpin or her family and she has never joined Salem or been a member of her inner circle unlike Snape so I very strongly doubt that she'll get any cutscene similar to Snape's backstory and how he followed Dumbledore's plans and protected Harry in memory of Lily.

        Loading editor
    • I'm just saying her perspective of Yang's/Ruby's birth, possibly Summer's death(I think she witnessed it/saw/found the body afterward) or perhaps STRQ/RWBY parallel events would be more interesting and dynamic as her negative worldview likely caused different results to similar circumstances if RWBY achieves better teamwork.

        Loading editor
    • Only time will tell.

      But I strongly feel that more heartbreak for Yang is coming.

        Loading editor
    • Severus Snape was an iredeemable piece of shit, regardless of Harry being a complete idiot and picking two of the worst people he knew that didn't try to kill him to name his kid after.

      He was a petty fucking bully mentally stuck in high school who regularly tortured children for little to no reason besides decades-old grudges.

        Loading editor
    • he named his kids? I stopped following about book 6(mental block, I finished reading them)... the 5th book killed it for me.

        Loading editor
    • 73.Anon.52 wrote:
      he named his kids? I stopped following about book 6(mental block, I finished reading them)... the 5th book killed it for me.

      He named his son Albus Severus Potter, after the guy who used him as a tool and repeatedly put Harry in danger for his little shadow war and the guy who mercilessly bullied him and his friends for 6 years until it was revealed that he wanted to fuck Harry's mom so everything's okay.

        Loading editor
    • Harry was a tool though... he was the moment his birth was a DEM that temporarily stopped You know who, Dumbledore literally had no chance to kill him himself, and only others thought he could.

        Loading editor
    • 73.Anon.52 wrote:
      Harry was a tool though... he was the moment his birth was a DEM that temporarily stopped You know who, Dumbledore literally had no chance to kill him himself, and only others thought he could.

      Doesn't make it right, even if Harry was just a trust fund jock who became a cop and married some chick he met in high school.

        Loading editor
    • Married the wrong chick he met in High School.

        Loading editor
    • harry potter's end relationships were all retcons, literally, joke rowling admitted it.

        Loading editor
    • She and Tai are getting laid. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

        Loading editor
    • If Taiyang tolerates Raven's presence I think that he might do it at least at first because Summer would have given her a chance as he might still be bitter over her abandonning him and Yang and of how far she was willing to go to preserve her skin.

        Loading editor
    • Definitely not immediately, because Raven must do a lot to regain Tai's trust for what she's done.  It'll probably be weeks, or maybe months, before Tai can trust Raven enough for anything physical to happen between them.  It definitely won't happen overnight, that's for sure.

        Loading editor
    • After all the yelling is over, Tai and Rae will have to figure out a way to aid Yang  and the others in the battle against Salem. Maybe Rae could enlist the help of her bandits since they are loyal to her.

        Loading editor
    • Bluethunder25 wrote: After all the yelling is over, Tai and Rae will have to figure out a way to aid Yang  and the others in the battle against Salem. Maybe Rae could enlist the help of her bandits since they are loyal to her.

      I highly doubt it. The bandits have a survival of the fittest system going. If their current leader leaves them or shows weakness, then no doubt that leader is replaced. The bandits are exactly that: bandits. They kill, they pillage, they rape, they kidnap and do all sorts of horrible things and, if Raven is to be believed, they don't care about protecting other people. Certainly not against a threat like Samen.

      And even if they did help...Aside from being cannon fodder, what could they do? With the exception of Raven and Vernal (whom is deceased), the bandits seem to be standard mooks who talk big, but are beaten easily by a first year student.

        Loading editor
    • Megadracosaurus wrote:

      Bluethunder25 wrote: After all the yelling is over, Tai and Rae will have to figure out a way to aid Yang  and the others in the battle against Salem. Maybe Rae could enlist the help of her bandits since they are loyal to her.

      I highly doubt it. The bandits have a survival of the fittest system going. If their current leader leaves them or shows weakness, then no doubt that leader is replaced. The bandits are exactly that: bandits. They kill, they pillage, they rape, they kidnap and do all sorts of horrible things and, if Raven is to be believed, they don't care about protecting other people. Certainly not against a threat like Samen.

      And even if they did help...Aside from being cannon fodder, what could they do? With the exception of Raven and Vernal (whom is deceased), the bandits seem to be standard mooks who talk big, but are beaten easily by a first year student.

      It's rather that the bandits only look for themselves and would not care if innocents or other people who are not one of theirs would die, plus they are too cowardly (their Survival of the fittest ideology is just BS to make them feel better at robbing and Killing people weaker than them) and as you say too weak to make a difference.

        Loading editor
    • I wouldn't say that's ALL their BS does, but pretty much. I'd imagine they dump people they consider losers, which would be interesting to see later(Expat Bandits and what they end up doing or perhaps trying to get vengeance by messing with Raven/Yang, or alternatively having turned their life around and helping Yang/RWBY).

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.