Nolan Porfirio is a member of Team BRNZ and Team SSSN. Nolan and his team fight against Team JNPR as part of the Vytal Festival Tournament in the episode "New Challengers...". He is the last surviving member of Team BRNZ after the Fall of Beacon.
He is the boyfriend of Scarlet David, as of Before the Dawn.
Nolan is a teenage boy with messy dark red hair and pink eyes.
He wears a deep sky blue jacket with a black hood and rolled up black sleeves, open over a white shirt with long, rolled up sleeves. A pair of sunglasses with pink lenses hang from his collar. He also wears a pair of ripped burgundy jeans, black shoes and black finger-less gloves.
Following the Fall of Beacon, Nolan was put into a depressive state before the novel starts, which physically showed. He was thinner than before, and his rose-tinted sunglasses couldn't hide dark shadows below his eyes.
After the Battle of Beacon, Nolan is shown to be in a depressed state, clinging on to the grief of losing the entirety of his team. He is shown to be a quiet person, primarily keeping to himself. However, after spending time with the Beacon Brigade and being given a new team, Nolan begins to grow more determined and confident, holding onto the grief of losing BRNZ to motivate him going forwards. Nolan is gay and is romantically involved with Scarlet David in the start of a budding relationship.
Powers and Abilities
- Main article: Nolan's Cattle Prod
Nolan's weapon of choice is his Cattle Prod, which he is shown to be skilled enough using to briefly incapacitate Lie Ren. He also has enough Aura to take a direct hit from Nora Valkyrie, who he had just charged up with his cattle prod, and another indirect hit from Nora without his Aura dropping below 15%.
- Porfirio is a given name in Spanish, derived from the Greek Porphyry, which means "purple-clad".
- Nolan means "noble" in Celtic, Irish and English, and "famous" in Gaelic.
- Nolan and his team were written in RWBY: Before the Dawn as a foil to Team JNPR, where only one member of BRNZ survived as opposed to JNPR having lost only one member in the fall of Beacon.
- While he is certainly not the first LGBT character in the series, Nolan is the first confirmed male LGBT character in the RWBY franchise, which is a distinction he shares with his boyfriend Scarlet David,