Throughout the production of a series, a lot goes on behind the scenes in regards to planning and design, which often go through multiple stages before resulting in the final version that is seen on screen. Some concepts and ideas can have an effect on the show and characters, and unexpected occurrences during production can also lead to changes and additions to the plans for the show.
Neptune Vasilias alludes to Neptune, the god of the sea in Roman mythology, who is the counterpart of Greek mythology's Poseidon. This allusion has had the following influences on the character and the show:
- His given name is Neptune. His family name, Vasilias, is a variant of the Greek word Basileus, meaning "leader, prince, king or emperor", and Poseidon is often called the King of the Sea.
- His weapon transforms into a trident, which the Roman god Neptune is known to wield.
- His emblem is a trident head in a shield.
- His appearance is based on an appearance that T.O.P of the K-pop group Big Bang had in their music video for the song Fantastic Baby.
EmblemNeptune's emblem is a trident head in a shield. This emblem appears on one of his possessions:
- Battle outfit - the tongues of his shoes.
- As stated in the August 21st, 2014, Livestream, Neptune originally had a different design and was planned for a different team. However, Monty realized that he could be seen sooner if placed on Team SSSN, so he was moved.
- After Volume 3, Rooster Teeth changed animation software from Poser Pro 2013 to Autodesk Maya. With this change, the animation department also made all new models for RWBY.