Throughout the production of a series, a lot goes on behind the scenes in regards to planning and design, which often go through multiple stages before resulting in the final version that is seen on screen. Some concepts and ideas can have an effect on the show and characters, and unexpected occurrences during production can also lead to changes and additions to the plans for the show.
Neo alludes to Hecate, or as per their other name, Trivia, the goddess of a three-way crossroads.
- Her hair is composed of multiple colors, which could be a reference to popular depictions of Hecate where she has three faces.
- Her birth name was Trivia, which is the name of Hecate's Roman counterpart.
- Neo's name calls to mind Neapolitan ice cream, which is a cross between three different flavors of ice cream, specifically chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. This could reference the three-way crossroads that Hecate presides over.
- Her semblance is used to summon illusions, which may be a reference to Hecate being the patron goddess of witchcraft.
- Her partnership with Roman Torchwick may reference the fact that Trivia is a goddess of the Roman pantheon.
- Monty Oum stated during the August 21st, 2014, Rooster Teeth livestream that Neo's design is partially based on a presentation-play cosplay of Torchwick made by one of his friends (Sonja Carter aka SoulFire Photography).
- Her color scheme is based around Neapolitan ice cream.
- According to Gray G. Haddock, Neo was created from scratch about ten days prior to her debut after Monty had the idea for her. She was inserted into the shots of the White Fang rally in "Painting the Town..." just a couple of days before the episode was finished.
- According to The World of RWBY: The Official Companion, Neo's Semblance, Overactive Imagination, was created because Monty needed Roman and Neo to exit during "Painting the Town..." but having them escape was hard to animate, and it was decided having them shatter instead would be easier.
- Animator Paula Decanini described Neo as "the funnest character to animate", given that her mute nature forces her personality to express through facial expressions and body language.
- After Volume 3, Rooster Teeth changed animation software from Poser Pro 2013 to Autodesk Maya. With this change, the animation department also made all new models for RWBY.
- Neo's allusion to Hecate was reverse-engineered by EC Myers during the production of Roman Holiday. Regarding this process, he recalled that the plan was always to reveal that Neo changed her name at some point, but he was unsure what he wanted her original name to be. Neo's birthname was originally to be Kat, in reference to Kit-Kat chocolate bars, but the name did not sound right to him. Through extensive research on names such as Kate and Catherine, he eventually arrived at Hecate, and it was at that point that he decided that Neo's birth name would be reference Hecate's Roman counterpart, to fit with the themes of the novel.
- Myers later clarified that while Neo's birth name Trivia was intended as a reference to Hecate, the character herself is not necessarily intended to allude to the goddess. He also stated that he is unsure of who or what, if anything, she actually alludes to.