The following is a list of Mistral and Anima minor characters from RWBY, arranged alphabetically and categorically.
- Minor Characters
Miscellaneous Mistral credits
- Mistral Pilot, voiced by Stan Lewis
- Train Announcer, voiced by Alena Lecorchick
- A female Mistral Pilot, voiced by Reina Scully
- Mistral Police Captain, voiced by Jamie Smith
Oscar's Aunt is a woman who lives on a farm somewhere in Mistral with her nephew Oscar Pine and is his only known relative. She has not made a physical appearance yet, but is heard in "Family" and "Punished" calling out to Oscar.
She is voiced by Marissa Lenti.
An unnamed Haven Tourist is interviewed by a news reporter in "Beginning of the End" about his reaction after watching Yang punch Mercury's leg at the Vytal Festival Tournament. He remarks that the scene was disgraceful and "completely uncalled for".
He is voiced by Robert Reynolds.
Heather Shields was a Huntress from the Kingdom of Mistral. As Qrow attempted to enlist the help of other Huntsmen and Huntresses, he eventually visited Heather's home. The visit quickly ended on a sad note when it became apparent that Heather was missing in action and her family had no knowledge of where she was. It was later revealed that Heather was among the numerous Huntsmen and Huntresses killed by Tyrian Callows and Hazel, for Lionheart had given their locations to Salem.
The name "Heather" is derived from a flower that is found in colors ranging from white to various shades of pinks and purples. "Heather shield" is a type of medieval shield.
Heather Shields' Husband and DaughterEdit
An unnamed man and his daughter (credited as Small Girl) are visited by Qrow when he asks them about Heather Shields. Annoyed at the man's lack of response, Qrow quickly becomes assertive but is interrupted when Heather's daughter appears. She asks her father if Qrow knows where her mother is. Realizing that Heather is missing in action, he apologizes to the two for bothering them and leaves.
The Small Girl is voiced by Emily Fajardo.
The Mistral Pilot was voiced by Stan Lewis.
Mistral Police CaptainEdit
The captain of the Mistral police force arrived at the Battle of Haven in response to the White Fang's attempt to blow it up. The police force came with Mistral airships. The Captain is seen with Kali Belladonna, who most likely went to notify the authorities while the rest of the Menagerie Faunus went directly to Haven Academy.
She was voiced by Jamie Smith
A lone woman walked along a mountain path before encountering a badly wounded Cinder Fall. At first, she was concerned for Cinder, until she noticed Cinder's Grimm arm and gasped. Cinder's Maiden eyes flared up, and the woman was never seen again. By the time Cinder went to town, she wore the woman's clothes and held a bag full of Lien, implying she killed the woman to take her wardrobe and possessions.
The Mistral Woman was voiced by Lauren Aptekar.
Ramen Shop OwnerEdit
The Ramen Shop Owner is a disgruntled worker who Qrow meets while trying to look for Huntsmen to help him out. He appears to have a sour history with a Huntsman named Shiro Wan, as Shiro asked the owner if he could borrow 16,000 Lien from him and has not paid him back yet. The owner has a hobby of wood carving whenever he is not too busy. He also appears to be racist towards Faunus, having a "No Faunus" sign outside of his shop. He threatens Qrow with a knife upon learning he is looking for Shiro, but is surprised when Qrow returns and pays Shiro's debt. He is last seen muttering, "That idiot", upon realizing something must have happened to Shiro.
The Ramen Shop Owner is voiced by Nick Landis.
Red Haired WomanEdit
The mysterious Red-Haired Woman bears some resemblance to Pyrrha Nikos. She first appears in "Lost", when she approaches a memorial statue of Pyrrha while Jaune stands in front of it. The two have a heartfelt conversation about Pyrrha before the woman mysteriously vanishes, leaving her bouquet of red lilies near the statue. It is strongly hinted that this woman is Pyrrha's mother.
The Red Haired Woman is voiced by Jen Brown, who also voices Pyrrha.
Shiro Wan was a Hunstman from the Kingdom of Mistral. He is an old friend of Qrow's. At some point, he came to owe the Ramen Shop Owner 16,000 Lien, but he did not pay him back. When Qrow goes to enlist Shiro's help, he is nowhere to be found; Shiro has been registered on a search and destroy mission for five weeks. It's later revealed that Shiro was among the numerous Huntsmen and Huntresses killed by Tyrian and Hazel, as Lionheart had given their locations to Salem.
"Shiro" is a Japanese word meaning "white" or "castle".
A large amount of Huntsmen were killed off by Hazel Rainart and Tyrian when Leonardo Lionheart leaked their identities to Salem. Qrow tried gaining allies in his fight against Salem, only to find out that his acquaintances were killed.
Huntsmen on Qrow's ScrollEdit
- Shiro Wan. Means "white" or "castle".
- Heather Shields. The name "Heather" is derived from a flower that is found in colors ranging from white to various shades of pinks and purples.
- Blanka Griffin. Blanka means "white". Griffin is a shade of gray.
- Boyd Raine. Boyd is from "Boidhe", Scottish for "yellow". Rain brings shades of blue to mind.
- Amethyst Kreiss. Amethyst is a purple gem. Kreiss means "potter", bringing browns and oranges to mind.
- Ivy Altham. Ivy is a green plant.
- Aoi Rivas. Aoi is an adjectival form of the Japanese word "ao", meaning "blue, green." Rivas is derived from the Latin word ripa, meaning river bank or seaside.
- Farrow Vaccaro. Farrow comes from "ferrous", having to do with the metal known as iron, bringing grays to mind. Vaccaro is the Italian occupational name for a cowherd.
- Harkin Lunsford. Harkin is an anglicized form of the Patronymic Irish surname "O hEarcain", which is derived from the word "earc", meaning "red".
- Roux Forhan. Roux is a girl's name of French origin, meaning "reddish brown".
- Shani Fiorenza. Shani is the Sanskrit word for the planet Saturn, bringing golds to mind. Fiorenza is an Italian name meaning "flower".
- Slate de Sena. "Slate" is a shade of gray as well as a fine-grained, foliated, homogeneous metamorphic rock derived from an original shale-type sedimentary rock composed of clay or volcanic ash through low-grade regional metamorphism.
- Lali Choi. Lali is a Greek name meaning "well-spoken", possibly referring to writing, referring to the color of paper. Choi is Korean for "a governor who oversees the land and the mountain".
- Nova Carrillo. A nova is a phenomenon in space when a star explodes, bringing bright and fiery colors to mind.
Huntsmen on Mission BoardEdit
- Flann Lucero. Flann is a Gaelic name meaning "red-haired". It also sounds like the food, flan, bringing orange-brown colors to mind. Lucero is a derivative of "luz", meaning 'light.'
- Azura Durham. Azura is a French name meaning "sky-blue".
- Dove Cowan. A dove is a white bird. Cowan is a Celtic surname meaning "of the yew tree".
- Fuchsia Lin. Fuchsia is a color between pink and purple. Lin comes from the Chinese word 林 (lín) meaning "forest" or 琳 (lín) meaning "fine jade, gem".
- Stark Silver. Stark is intended to evoke the phrase "stark white". Silver is a type of metal, bringing to mind a shiny gray color of the same name.
- Jay Hawkins. Jay could be from "blue jay", a type of bird with blue feathers. Hawkins is an English name meaning "hawking" or "falconry".
- Lucero Hawthorne. Lucero is a derivative of "luz", meaning "light". A hawthorn is a type of flower.
- Rory Andrews. Rory comes from the Scottish Gaelic word "Ruairidh", coming from ruadh ("red-haired" or "rusty") and rígh ("king").
Second Mission BoardEdit
- Ayress Umbra. Ayre is a nickname for a man who was well known to be the heir to a title or fortune, bringing golds to mind. Umbra is Greek for shadow.
- Cyan Kratz. Cyan is a light shade of blue.
- Zach Hyacinth. Zach is a Hebrew name meaning "Yahweh has remembered", bringing whites and golds to mind. A hyacinth is a flower commonly found in shades of blue, purple, pink, and white.
- Inigo Nash. Inigo is a shortened form of Indigo, a shade of blue-purple. Nash is an English name, meaning "at the ash tree".
- Caroline Teale. Caroline refers to Carolina Blue. Teale is a lengthened form of Teal, a shade of green-blue.
- Carmina Griffin. Carmina is a form of Carmine, a shade of red. Griffin is a shade of gray.
F. Pickerel was a Mistralian Huntsman who was responsible for the incarceration of Tyrian Callows after his serial killings across Anima. Following this, Tyrian was set to be transported to Atlas on an airship. Pickerel insisted that the ship needed more security, but he was ignored and was then removed from the case due to his lack of cooperation. After Tyrian was freed from imprisonment, Pickerel was later found dead in his home.
Madam Xahn is a healer from Mistral. She is also the one who helps Ruby recovers her depression by going through the Garden maze. She and the maze have only appeared in RWBY the comic.
Bartleby was the head of one of Brunswuick's households, he and his family were amongst the founders and leaders of the settlement. Maria Calavera inferred he was highly ambitious, always coming up with new schemes to aid the Farms. He wore a straw hat, and a blue vest over a white shirt. Bartleby had short brown hair and a beard. His wife had pale skin and brown hair, and wore an orange waist coat, covering her head with a coif.
At one point, Bartleby and Brunswick's Huntsman encountered the Apathy in the woods, with the Brunswick Farms running low on income to pay Huntsmen protection fees, Bartleby took to using the Apathy to his advantage, drawing two of them from the woods into the cellar. Bartleby lied to his wife, using the excuse he was sealing the waterway in order to clear his head and tell her tomorrow. However, before he could do so the rest of the pack arrived in the settlement, ultimately killing everyone. Weiss Schnee finds the corpses of Bartleby and his wife in their bedroom, having died in their sleep.
The names of the three respective families in Brunswick Farms were the Brunswicks, the Putnams, and the Melvilles.
Amongst the settlers, a Huntsman and a Farmhand worked as a security for a high income. The Huntsman was a tanned man with a goatee who covered his hair with a cowboy's hat, wearing a beige duster coat with ammunition straps across his stomach. His weapon was a Dust rifle. The Huntsman's skeleton is briefly seen in the waterways as Team RWBY escapes the Apathy.
- Brunswick is a German city related to the "The Wild Huntsman", a Headless Horseman-like legend. It fits the Color Naming Rule by being partially named for Bruno, Duke of Saxony, which derives from the Germanic brun, meaning "brown" or "armor". Brunswick is also a shade of green.
- Bartleby alludes to the character Bartleby from the short story Bartleby, the Scrivener. In the story, a Wall Street lawyer hires a new clerk who, after an initial bout of hard work, refuses to make copies or do any other task required of him, with the words "I would prefer not to."
- "Putnam" is derived from the Old English word ham, which means farm, and either the Old English personal name Putta, or the Old English word putta, which means hawk. The place-name taken as a whole means "farm belonging to Putta," or "farm where there are hawks."
- "Melville" is a surname of Norman origin. It is a habitational name from any of the various places in Normandy called Malleville, from Latin mala ‘bad’ + ville ‘settlement’.
In the "Volume 6 Adam Character Short", the White Fang were ambushed by several Human Supremacists while traveling. During the small skirmish, Adam Taurus incapacitated several of the supremacists to defend Sienna Khan and Ghira Belladonna. After he killed one with his Semblance the others run away, calling them freaks as a parting insult.
Jupiter Vasilias is Neptune's older brother.
When Neptune was four years old, Jupiter attempted to teach his brother how to swim by throwing Neptune off a pier in Argus. When rising up from the sea, Neptune unintentionally brought some of the ocean water back with him in a bubble where he couldn’t breathe or see. To get out, Neptune used his Semblance to pass the bubble of water onto Jupiter, who was lucky to have a Semblance that allowed him to turn the bubble into vapor to also escape. Nonetheless, this event traumatized Neptune, who thinks he almost killed his brother because of his Semblance, causing him to develop aquaphobia.
Jupiter alludes to Jupiter, the god of the skies and thunder in Roman mythology, who is the counterpart of Greek mythology’s Zeus. His name fits the color naming rule due to Jupiter’s association with the color yellow.
Neptune's family are well known for being remarkable swimmers, and live on the coast of Argus. Neptune's mother is a lawyer.
Hiyoko Daichi Edit
Hiyoko Daichi is Yatsuhashi’s younger sister.
When Hiyoko was still a baby, Yatsuhashi used his Semblance on their mother and accidently made her forget about Hiyoko. He took care of his younger sister for the rest the day until their mother was able to remember her again.
Hiyoko is Japanese female name. Hi (日) can mean either “day” or “sun”. Yo (曜) translates to “weekday” and ko (子) to “child”. Her name could be a reference to the term “Sunday child”.
Tums is a pilot from the southern Anima port who often makes rounds to Kuchinashi to transport Huntsmen across the continent, appearing in "The Mission". He is laidback and friendly, but something of a bumbling fool.
Tums at some point nearly took Qrow Branwen on a mission but missed the chance to meet the celebrity he is enamored with. During "The Mission", he crashes along with his ship in a Grimm attack. He was later shown to have been rescued from the ship in "Heists and Holidays!".
Tums is an antacid made of sucrose (sugar) and calcium carbonate (CaCO3).
Alabaster is the sheriff of Kuchinashi, having replaced the previous one who was killed by the underworld for having failed them. He appears to be rough around the edges and is distrustful in nature due to that. Alabaster wields an enormous broadsword which doubles as a gun, and wears several layers of thick leather coats and a sheriff’s badge. He has a bad reputation at The Skillful. In SHEATHE ME!, he and his men believe that the Kuchinashi Huntsmen attempted to kill Daff and doesn't believe their attempts to prove their innocence. He arrests them, but later let's them to free after being convinced by the Taskmaster who acts as their lawyer.
Alabaster is a mineral or rock that is soft, often used for carving, and is processed for plaster powder. It is usually white in color.
Buck is described as one of the biggest Faunus women the cast had ever seen, with filed off antlers as her trait. She is a worker at The Skillful, and makes sure only the right people enter the tavern. She wields a heavy rifle as a weapon.
A buck is another name for a deer, bringing browns to mind.
Opal is the woman who runs The Skillful. She is an older woman with a youthful appearance who has a scar running down the side of her face, carrying herself with a strong posture. She wears old, battered armor.
A famous now-retired Huntress, Opal traveled in the same circles as The Grimm Reaper, having stopped her work and disappeared at one point.
Opal’s Semblance is described as a blood rush which causes lightheadedness and fatigue. She needs to extend her hands to use it.
An opal is a gemstone that comes in a variety of colors.
Cram is a barkeep who works at The Skillful under Opal. His name refers to cranberry, a shade of red.
Daff is a man who is physically reminiscent of a younger Qrow Branwen, being 10-15 years younger than the famous Huntsman, but having the same haircut and beard. He wears a city guard uniform, having connections with Kuchinashi's guard. However, unlike Qrow, he’s much more jumpy and is more eager to be friendly and helpful towards newcomers. When Team SMMK are trying to find out why the Kuchinashi Huntsmen are looking into the strange incidents around Kuchinashi, they beat Daff up to the point he starts bleeding in A Rocky Start and later has to be sent to the local hospital In SHEATHE ME!. In the past, he preformed a few tasks for the Taskmaster.
In Greek, the meaning of the name Daff is bay tree, or laurel tree. The Greek mythological nymph Daphne was rescued from the unwanted attentions of the god Apollo by being turned into a laurel bush.
The Taskmaster is a former Huntsman who is active around the Hedges, having lost his license at one point due to his various connections to criminal activities. He s a confident looking gentleman who carries an air of professionalism wearing a fetching suit and a winning smile that hides a capable liar.
The Taskmaster is a broker with connections all throughout the city, using this information to keep himself more powerful than anyone else. He may not have a criminal empire, but everyone owes him favors. To find him, one needs a brass coin with an ‘x’ etched onto it so that others can guide you to his location.
In the past, Daff performed a few tasks for him and he has become fond of the boy. In SHEATHE ME!, he acts as the lawyer of the Kuchinashi Huntsmen and gets them out of prison after they save Daff from death. He tells them that after they help him get an item from Javi Pastel's property, he will give them the information each of them wants to know.
Team SMMK (smoke) is a team of Huntsmen appeared in Kuchinashi recently, carving themselves a reputation for being annoying, in part due to their overly self indulgent theatrics. Their members are as follows:
- Sil is the leader of Team SMMK, described as a goth extrovert in personality. He wears dark belts and buckles, and has long bangs over his face, constantly pushing them out of the way. Sil's Semblance allows him to obscure an area in darkness. Sil is the first half of the color silver.
- Marton is a huge, pot-bellied man with goggles and shaggy hair. He wields a club which uses Dust to cause smokefields. In Hungarian, the meaning of the name Marton is Warrior of Mars.
- Mina is a tall and spindly woman who wears a helmet that covers her face. The name Mina means With Gilded Helmet and is of English origin. It is also a Persian name meaning 'blue glass, gem', and a Japanese name meaning 'south'.
- Khaki is a pale woman who wears khaki armor and an aviator jacket. She has jet black hair. Khaki is a pale tan-like color.
One member of Team SMMK is capable of producing spider webs as a weapon, but it's unspecified as to who generates them.
It's later revealed in "A Rocky Start" that they have been paid by The Wave to keep anyone from interfering with their plans. When they learn that the Kuchinashi Huntsmen are investigating the strange incidents in kuchinashi from Daff, they beat him up to the point of bleeding. Later, they attempt to kill the main protagonists by detonating multiple bombs to kill them in a rockslide.
Taupe is a young 13-year old boy who works as a guard in a Kuchinashi Dust shop. He is a student of Kuchinashi's combat school.
Taupe is a dark grey-brown color.
Takaya is the Headmaster of Kuchinashi's combat school, being Taupe's favorite professor. He is currently organizing a resistance to protect the city as the police don’t do much in Kuchinashi. In "SHEATHE ME!", Takaya is described as one of the few people one can trust in the city.
"Takaya" is a Japanese name meaning "respectful one."
Unnamed Faunus WomanEdit
An unnamed fox Faunus is a prisoner in Kuchinashi, who informs Arrastra Skye about Takaya's trustworthiness. She is a worker for a mining company.
Javi Pastel was a member of the Pastel Company, a family mining business in Mistral. In recent history, Javi Pastel took the Pastel mining company into Kuchinashi as an offshoot for his family business to make a name for himself. There, he found that the Kuchinashi mountains were host to an ancient civilization that was left in ruins, and contained a treasure trove. Javi's findings caught the interest of the Hana Guild and the Wave, who tried to buy off an item from Javi. After Javi sold one item to the Wave, the Hana Guild gained a new leader which stopped the dealing of narcotics and changed the organization into a more shadowy group. Soon after, Pastel turned out dead as the Wave claimed another item from his estate before their rivals.
Javi as a boy's name is of Spanish and Portuguese origin, and the meaning of Javi is "bright". A pastel color is a soft and delicate shade of a color.
Lemon is the current leader of the Hana Guild, having recently taken charge of the criminal organization, and for an unknown reason
Lemon is a shade of yellow.
Vermillion is a leader of the Hana Guild, first appearing in "Heists and Holidays!". He is a tall man who wears an animal mask and a red leather cloak, commanding the room when he enters it. Vermillion and the Hana Guild have taken an interest in the ruins in Kuchinashi, as well as its alleged Magic.
Vermillion is a shade of red.