Overview Image Gallery
Megoliaths resemble the now-extinct mammoth, a large elephant-like animal that lived in the Holocene. It has shaggy-looking fur, a larger mask with two pairs of eyes, and bone fragments that appear ice like in appearance.
They have a primarily black body, with four giant white tusks and a spiked bone-like mask. The front tusks point forward, while the back tusks point to the sides. Most likely due to the fact that they inhabit the cold tundras of Solitas, the Megoliath's skin appears to be somewhat frozen over, like other Grimm in the continent.
Older Megoliaths, referred to as Alpha Megoliaths, have larger and sharper ice-like spikes on their back and have ice-like horns atop their mask. Their front tusks are much larger and curve back toward their face before curving again to point up. They have additional armor on their lower legs and trunk. There are red markings along the sides of their trunk.
In "Pomp and Circumstance", Ruby makes mention of a "Megoliath" during her browsing of the Mission Board. In "As Above, So Below", Megoliaths invade Mantle alongside other Grimm such as Sabyrs, Teryxes, Nevermores and Ursai.
Powers and Abilities
The Megoliaths are large, powerful Grimm capable of easily charging through expansive areas, whipping up a snowstorm in their wake. They are highly durable, crashing into buildings without suffering any damage. Megoliaths are also extremely heavy and strong, crushing an Ursa on its way with a single stomp. They are described as intelligent, and some of the strongest Grimm in Remnant, having appeared in recent history.
Alpha Megoliaths are a larger, more armored version of the Megoliath. These older variants are more durable than a standard Megoliath, being able to withstand extreme punishment, including Penny's energy beams, which can have been shown cutting a Bullhead in half. Their tusks are heat resistant, requiring concentrated fire to be broken. The Alpha also appears to be faster and more intelligent, using Floating Array against Penny herself.
- During production, CRWBY referred to the Megoliath as "Manny".
- The name Megoliath derives from the words "mega" and "Goliath", both used to describe something very large and powerful.
- It was stated at RTX that Grimm on the icy continent of Solitas are based on prehistoric and ice age animals. With this in mind, the Megoliath is based on the woolly mammoth, an extinct species of mammoth which stood up to 3.5 meters tall that lived during the Pleistoscene until its extinction.
- Both the Megoliath and the Alpha Megoliath were designed by concept artist Larissa Angus.
- During the Battle of Mantle, the city was restructured a bit to make sure the Alpha Megoliath could fit in the streets.
- RWBY: Amity Arena Card Bio:
- Mantle's harsh weather is known to create the strongest Grimm, as its cold was actually enough to prevent invasion for a very long time. However, the Grimm adapted and now we face the likes of the Megoliath. Much like its cousin, the Goliath in Vale, these ancient Grimm are intelligent, powerful, but Mantle has given it one more quality... resilience. If you don't stay out of this creature's path, well... it will move YOU in brutal fashion.
- Goliaths introduced in Volume 2, based on African elephants, are described as Megoliaths' cousins. Both are based on Elephantidae and have a similar name.