Overview Image Gallery
May was a young girl with light tan skin, dusky rose hair and gray-blue eyes.
She wore a red and white hoodie with blue tracksuit pants and a distinctive black beanie that covered her left eye. She also wore a large black scarf and red canvas sneakers.
Powers and Abilities
She was integral to the tactics of her team, forcing enemies to seek cover and retreat as her teammates gave chase. She would also interfere and distract enemies when her teammates entered into close-quarters combat.
She was highly adept at maneuvering into high locations to gain a better firing position, using her rifle as a climbing axe for leverage. However, she tended to be less effective when deprived of cover and a favorable vantage point.
Unlike the rest of her team, she was not shown entering into close combat with opponents.
May and her team were students at Shade Academy, from the kingdom of Vacuo. She journeyed with her team to participate in the 40th Vytal Festival combat tournament, hosted by the kingdom of Vale. They were defeated by Team JNPR of Vale's Beacon Academy in the team round of the tournament.
- She makes a brief cameo appearance at the fairgrounds during "Round One", just before Team RWBY are shown eating.
- The name "May" is another name for the hawthorn flower.
- On the AfterBuzz TV for RWBY Volume 3 Episodes 1 & 2 Review, Miles Luna and Kerry Shawcross stated that her name was Zedong. Miles said, "She's a purple mushroom I think", suggesting a color allusion for her name.
- Miles and Kerry also stated that she is not related to Communist Chinese leader Mao Zedong, and the similarity in names was purely coincidental.
- According to designer Erin Winn, she gave May a beanie covering her eye because she thought it was cool.