Appearance[edit | edit source]
Marrow is a young man with long greenish-black hair and blue eyes. He is a Faunus, with a dark gray/light gray canine tail as his trait.
Marrow wears an Atlesian Specialist uniform that consists of a white double-breasted coat with silver buttons, dark blue accents, collar, shoulder flaps with matching cuffs that have two silver buttons. The coat's tail splits, allowing Marrow's tail to move freely. He has a dark blue belt with a silver buckle around his waist with a dark blue pouch on the right side. He has a red ascot tied around his neck. Marrow wears a red shirt under his coat. He wears dark blue trousers tucked into his black knee-high boots.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Marrow is described as mischievous in personality, having been kicked out of an undisclosed place at least three times in the past. As the novice member of the Ace-Ops, he is also the most naive and childish of the group, having to be 'babysat' by Harriet Bree.
A large aspect of Marrow's motivation to have become a Huntsman in the past was that many said he couldn't. However, beating those odds, Marrow was able to rise to the top of the ranks, becoming an Ace-Op. He is extremely appreciative and humbled by James Ironwood for being brought in as a part of the most elite group of Huntsmen in Atlas, being well aware of the social and racial tensions between Atlas and Faunus and how rare it is for his kind to be placed in such a role.
Marrow is unable to hide his emotions, in part due to his tail which often gives his true feelings away, and as such tends to try and hide his emotions by putting up a tough act or by using humor to misdirect them. Marrow is well-versed in the issues with abuse of the Faunus in Atlas, but is not "looking to solve systemic societal issues." He is shown to have a snarky streak, especially when dealing with the Happy Huntresses or Ruby's Group, quickly becoming tired of their naive attitude. Additionally, Marrow is shown to be easily startled, nervously correcting himself after angering Yang Xiao Long, or recoiling and grabbing his tail protectively after Weiss Schnee accidentally startled him while fighting Grimm.
Marrow appears to be extremely loyal to Ironwood, defending his actions from May Marigold. Despite having a negative outlook on the Happy Huntresses, Marrow is not heartless, showing horror and fear over Tyrian Callows' massacre at Robyn Hill's election party, later being regretful he couldn't stop it. He is shown to take his job seriously, quickly becoming annoyed at other's immaturity despite his own naivety.
Similar to Blake Belladonna, Marrow's Faunus trait gives him other aspects of a dog, such as wagging his tail. Another example of that side was shown in "Sparks" when he begged to Jaune Arc to give him his coffee by staring at him with a pleading expression, exactly like a dog does when begging for its owner to give it food.
In "Gravity", Marrow has a look of sorrow after being ordered by Ironwood to arrest Team RWBY, in stark contrast to the rest of the Ace Ops' look of determination.
Later Marrow's kindness and fondness for the girls is fully shown in "With Friends Like These", where he is noticeably shown to have the most hesitance to fight and hurt them, having attempted to stop his teammates and Team RWBY from fighting each other, and later attempted to talk down Weiss from fighting him and "let it go." Even after being berated by Harriet, Marrow still refused to use excessive force to hurt RWBY and stated he was trying to arrest them, not kill them, showing how much he has come to care for the four during their time in Atlas working together.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
Semblance[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Semblance#Marrow Amin
Marrow's Semblance allows him to freeze an enemy's movements, as seen with how he froze two Centinels in place in "Ace Operatives", activating when he uses the command word "stay." This ability seems to have little to no limit in terms of numbers, as Marrow was able to freeze an entire crowd of people in the episode "A Night Off". However, he must remain pointing at the enemy to keep them in place, otherwise the command will wear off.
The major limitation of this Semblance is that can only be used it in a single direction: in other words, it cannot be used against two opponents coming from separate directions, as activating the Semblance will cancel any current usage. In a fight with multiple opponents in different directions, Marrow would need to constantly do and undo his "stay" commands, putting a severe strain on his stamina and Aura reserves.
Weapon[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Fetch
Marrow's weapon is Fetch, a rifle which doubles as a boomerang, which he uses as a ranged or melee weapon, as well as an improvised ski board when jumping off a Manta airship.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Marrow is a substance found inside of bones, which turns brown when cooked.
- It is also a white-fleshed green-skinned gourd, which is eaten as a vegetable, bringing green to mind.
- Marrow alludes to the Aesop fable The Dog and Its Reflection.
- He is a dog Faunus.
- He is named Marrow, after a substance found inside of bones, which are associated with dogs.
- His surname, Amin, is an Arabic and Persian name that means "faithful, trustworthy". This further alludes to his inspiration as dogs are often seen as faithful animals.
- He uses a boomerang weapon called Fetch, alluding to the game of fetch one plays with a dog.
- His Semblance allows him to freeze enemies in place with a snap. This seems to be inspired by dog commands, specifically stay.
- Marrow was designed by concept artist Larissa Angus, who worked on gen:LOCK.
- Some concept art depicts Marrow with dog ears instead of a tail as his Faunus trait.
- According to Mick Lauer, Marrow's favorite foods are chili steak and animal crackers.
- During the Official r/RWBY Ace-Op AMA, Mick Lauer imagines Marrow unlocked his Semblance as a kid while being bullied for being a Faunus, "possibly discovering it or using it to hold back a bunch of bullies or something chasing him. Only to have one sneak up from behind him and womp him." However, this is clarified to be non-canon as Mick clarified by this point he had not known Marrow's backstory.
References[edit | edit source]