Throughout the production of a series, a lot goes on behind the scenes in regards to planning and design, which often go through multiple stages before resulting in the final version that is seen on screen. Some concepts and ideas can have an effect on the show and characters, and unexpected occurrences during production can also lead to changes and additions to the plans for the show.
Leonardo Lionheart alludes to the Cowardly Lion from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. This allusion has had the following influences on the character and show:
- The name "Leonardo" means "lion" and "bold" in Spanish. Both his first and last names reference the Cowardly Lion himself.
- Lionheart is a lion Faunus.
- Lionheart is shown to be incredibly fearful of Salem, a reference to the Lion's cowardice.
- In the original book, the Wicked Witch of the West captures the Lion and tries to force him to work for her. Lionheart works for Salem in the series.
- His emblem is a lion's head.
Lionheart's emblem is a stylized depiction of a lion's head. This emblem appears on one of his possessions:
- His pocket watch.