Joanna is a tall, dark skin woman with masculine features and short dark green partially spiked hair, beige eyes and tattoos on her nose and forehead. She wears a cocoa brown coat with dark brown lapels and white trim and hem detail over a light beige long-sleeved top. She wears artichoke green and white armored pads with emerald green straps on her arms alongside brown gloves. She sports a pair of brown trousers tucked into black boots with emerald green cuffs. She also wears a light gray and pale green breastplate that sports the Happy Huntress' brooch emblem in the centre.
Joanna has a stoic and confrontational personality, being silently aggressive towards Atlesian personnel such as Marrow Amin, showing disdain towards them. Joanna is the first to attack the specialist after Tyrian Callows' massacre at the political party. Nonetheless, like the other Happy Huntresses, she has a mind to aid Mantle above all else. After the events of Volume 7, Joanna takes charge of the group and spearheads the mission to evacuate Mantle in Robyn's stead, also helping Ruby's Group find cover and rest. Despite this, she still expects the group to help Mantle in turn, showing a disliking towards laziness.
Around the Happy Huntresses, Joanna shows a supportive personality, assuring Robyn about her political campaign, to the point of being willing to use both legal and illegal means to accomplish her goals. Later after Fiona falls to despair and breaks down in tears after hearing Ironwood's ultimatum Joanna is quick to join May in comforting and hugging her.
Joanna showed a level of bravery and curiosity when she was the first person to step through the magical gates created by the Relic of Creation.
Powers and Abilities
Joanna is a skilled fighter as one of Atlas Academies' top graduates.
- Main article: Happy Huntresses' Weapons
Her weapon is one of the Happy Huntress' standardized weapons; two bladed crossbows connected by a staff. She is a capable marksman, accurately firing shots from the hip. She shares the weapon with May and Fiona.
- The name Joanna means "God is gracious", bringing white and gold colors to mind.
- Greenleaf refers to the color green.
- Like the rest of the Happy Huntresses alluding to Robin Hood's Merry Men, Joanna likely alludes to Little John, Robin Hood's right-hand man who was known for his immense size and strength. On one occasion, John used the name of Reynold Greenleaf to go undercover in Nottingham. Additionally, in "Fault," Robyn recounts the story of being the first to beat Joanna in a fair fight, which may be a reference to how Robin Hood and Little John met in the original stories.
- Color work and early exploration of Joanna and her weapon's designs were done by artist Weston T. Jones.