Throughout the production of a series, a lot goes on behind the scenes in regards to planning and design, which often go through multiple stages before resulting in the final version that is seen on screen. Some concepts and ideas can have an effect on the show and characters, and unexpected occurrences during production can also lead to changes and additions to the plans for the show.
Hazel Rainart alludes to Hansel from Hansel & Gretel. This allusion has had the following influences on the character and show:
- The allusion theme of Salem's followers takes well-known "hero" characters (save for Tyrian Callows) and changes their stories to make them turn into villains. With this in mind, Hazel alludes to Hansel from Hansel & Gretel if he had lost Gretel in the story.
- Hazel's last name, Rainart, is similar to the common German name Reinhardt, which could be a reference to Hansel and Gretel being German characters.
- Coincidentally, Hazel's voice actor, William Orendorrf, is also of German descent himself.
- Hazel had a twin sister named Gretchen Rainart, who alluded to Hansel's sister Gretel.
- Hazel was initially opposed to Salem, who alludes to a witch and was once referred to as such by the people of Remnant. Given that Gretchen trained to become a Huntress, she was also opposed to Salem when she was alive. This parallels Hansel and Gretel's conflict with a witch in the story.
- Hazel ultimately sacrifices himself to temporarily destroy Salem through consuming Fire Dust and burning her alive. This act parallels how Hansel and Gretel defeated the witch by forcing her into an oven.
Concepts With No Change
- RWBY Rewind
- The World of RWBY: The Official Companion
- RWBY Rewind