Fennec Albain was an antagonist in RWBY. He first appeared in the Volume 4 episode "Menagerie" alongside his brother Corsac Albain. He was a representative of the White Fang on the Menagerie continent. His weapon of choice was one of Cyclone and Inferno laced with either Fire or Wind Dust, with his brother wielding the other. He served as a secondary antagonist in Volume 5.
After a fierce battle in the Belladonna Family Home, Fennec attempted to kill Ghira Belladonna, but Blake Belladonna pulled her father out of the way just as a heavy piece of a falling balcony crushed Fennec. The Dust in his weapon exploded from the impact, killing him.
Fennec was a dark-skinned man who wore his hair styled in a mohawk with shaved sides. He was a fox Faunus whose trait was a pair of fox ears, and was noticeably shorter than his brother.
Fennec wore a red hood that functioned partially as a cloak made of two pieces of cloth held together by buttons and string. Holes were cut in the top for his fox ears. He wore a black tunic with two sections extending farther down than the rest at his front. White trimming defined the shape of the hood and tunic. He also wore detached white sleeves, bound at the mid-bicep and the wrists. Black gloves served that function and were attached to his middle fingers. His white pants were pleated. He wore black open-toed sandals with fabric extending up to his knees.
Fennec was not too dissimilar from his brother personality-wise. He was a rather soft-spoken individual, but this belied the lengths he was willing to go to promote the White Fang's beliefs in what was best for the Faunus. However, unlike Corsac, Fennec was more hesitant of Adam Taurus' leadership due to having acknowledged the questionable state of Adam's mental health and drastic measures he is willing to take. He was willing to follow Adam's leadership regardless but overall questioned if it was truly beneficial to the White Fang. This doubt, however, was alleviated at Corsac's assurances due to them only seeing him as a means to an end with his faults and were willing to discard him if necessary. He also showed concern for his brother when he is attacked by Ghira twice.
Like Corsac, Fennec appeared to be manipulative, convincing Ilia Amitola that assassinating Ghira and Kali Belladonna was necessary and that Ilia should have used her former friendship with Blake to help accomplish this.
Powers and Abilities
Corsac and Fennec were leaders of the White Fang branch on Menagerie and were skilled in planning and manipulating. In "Alone Together", he and his brother showed leadership skills as they led the assault on the Belladonna Mansion.
- Main article: Cyclone and Inferno
Fennec's weapon of choice was Cyclone and Inferno, which he and his brother wielded together. In "A Perfect Storm", it was shown that their weapons could be loaded with Dust. Fennec's was seen channeling wind Dust, which could be combined with his brother's fire Dust. Both weapons were destroyed when he was killed and the Dust inside them caused an explosion.
- Fennec and his brother may allude to Tabaqi from the Jungle book. Tabaqi was a Jackal that fed on Scraps from Shere Khan and the wolves of the Seeonee pack.
- Fennec was named after a species of fox known as the Fennec Fox, which are most commonly known for their abnormally large ears. The foxes are typically a sandy color, but can range from red to white.
- The Albains were planned pre-Volume 1 and were intended to be the original antagonists of the Volume before Roman Torchwick's role was expanded. One of the revealed ideas was for them to use Grimm liquid during the Beacon Academy Initiation.
- Many Faunus have additional elements in their design that tie into their animal traits: Fennec and Corsac's hoods are in the shape of a fox snout.
- based on concept art compared to Ruby's offical height
- Volume 5 Directors Commentary Chapter 5
- Volume 4 Directors Commentary 1:08:26
- Volume 5 Directors Commentary