Before being picked up by Rooster Teeth, Gu was an animator and Computer Science student at the University of Texas with a popular Youtube channel. Gu is also responsible for popular animations such as Gods Don't Bleed" - EPIC FIGHT Minecraft Animation , Ionia: The Blood Moon" (League of Legends Cinematic), and Overwatch but with Cats - "Katsuwatch" (a long-running project that emerged after Gu's involvement with RWBY).
Having been heavily influenced by the late Monty Oum, Gu decided to create a new piece labeled Project MONTY in tribute to Oum's unique style of animation and fight choreography, highlighting similar transforming weapons and intensive combat. His work was noticed by one of the lead animators of RWBY, Shane Newville. From there, Gu's work was spread throughout the RWBY team, and he eventually was picked up by the Rooster Teeth Animation Department to work on Volume 3 of RWBY.
Notable RWBY Animations
- "Round One" - 4:56–5:16, 5:30–5:37 (with Shane), 5:37–5:55, 6:52–7:40
- "New Challengers..." - Lie Ren's electric slide (3:45–4:00)
- "It's Brawl in the Family" - Ruby Rose reuniting with Qrow Branwen (10:20–10:33)
- "Lessons Learned" - Mercury and Emerald vs. Coco and Yatsuhashi (choreographed and animated the fight)
- "Battle of Beacon" - Nevermore fight and Ironwood vs Beowolf fight
- "Heroes and Monsters" - The Velvet fight
- "End of the Beginning" - The Cinder vs Pyrrha fight with Kim Newman, Dustin Matthews, and concepts from Shane Newville.
- Before working on RWBY in the animation software Poser, Gu mainly animated his projects in the free open source software Blender.
- At RTX 2015, Shane Newville hosted an Animation with Poser Panel with Gu as a Co-Panelist.
- Gu often streams his work on Katsu Cats as well as other projects on his Twitch channel.
- Gu is also a fan of very bad puns, with which he tormented others in the animation department for RWBY.
- Dillon and Shane have a series of 2D animations on Twitter with the hashtag "#WhenShaneAndDillonUseFlipaClip".
- Dillon is capable of doing acrobatic/break-dancing moves such as aerials and flares.
- After Volume 3 ended production, Gu decided to focus on projects for his YouTube channel, including a collaboration project with Shane Newville.