Bolin Hori is a member of Team ABRN. Bolin and his team were first revealed at the RTX 2015 RWBY Panel on August 7th, 2015. He was shown fighting Team RWBY alongside the rest of his team during the Vytal Festival Tournament.
Bolin has lightly-tanned skin, amber eyes, and black hair. He wears two yellow sashes, one around his waist the other over his shoulder alongside a dark blue vest and gray pants with yellow lacing up the sides. He also wears black boots and black fingerless gloves, and a dark gray beaded necklace.
Bolin is shown to be a perceptive person, and is able to take initiative as shown by being the one to break the silence and kick off the Beacon Brigade meeting in RWBY: Before the Dawn. He and Reese are uncomfortable at the mention of the Fall of Beacon, but are still brave enough to be amongst the first students to come to Shade Academy's aid.
Powers and Abilities
Bolin's weapon is a staff. During the battle with Team RWBY, he was caught off guard by Weiss Schnee and her glyphs. He is surprisingly agile, being able to dodge past both Weiss and Ruby Rose's attacks, but he is ultimately outclassed by Team RWBY, along with the rest of his team. Additionally, Bolin seems to be capable of withstanding a great many hits, quickly recovering after hitting his spine once thrown into a rock by Weiss or being shot in the face by Ruby's Crescent Rose.
The World of RWBY: The Official Companion book states that Bolin is extremely adept at weaving his way through enemy formations.
- Main article: Bolin's Staff
- Bolin is a Chinese name usually given to boys. It can mean "elder brother", or "rain". Rain brings to mind the color blue.
- The word hori roughly translates to "yellow" in Basque.
- "Hori" could also come from the name "Hari", which means "brown, yellow, tawny" in Sanskrit.
- "Hori" is derived from the Japanese surname "Horii" (堀井). The first kanji can be translated to "moat".
- Bolin may allude to Hebo, the Chinese god of the Yellow River, following his name's color motif.
- Despite saying "But who's got yours?" in "Round One", there are no "Round One" end credits to credit the voice actor; instead, the opening titles are shown at the end of the episode. The voice actor is also not credited in the comprehensive "End of the Beginning" credits. Thus, Bolin's voice actor is never credited in the show proper.