The Atlas Pilot, named Fenix Atar in the commentary, was a character who first appeared in "No Safe Haven", when he agreed to smuggle Weiss Schnee from Atlas to Mistral with his airship. He died when the airship crashed en route due to a Grimm attack.
His demeanor was pleasant, and the two of them conversed on his cargo plane easily. However, he was capable of drawing a hard line when he must. He also admitted to smuggling Dust from Atlas.
He wore a white uniform with black gloves, vest and black chaps over white pants. He wore a white helmet with a black visor that concealed his eyes and hair.
- In commentary, he has been named Fenix Atar.
- Fenix is a bastardized version of phoenix, a mythological bird of fire. Atar is Persian for fire or lightning.
- One of the animators, Kim Newman, stated the crash killed him.
- The pilot's lines were influenced by Han Solo from the "Star Wars" franchise.
- Miles Luna has stated that there was cut dialogue of the Pilot mentioning having a boyfriend back in Atlas. While they wanted to have more LGBTQ+ representation, they were concerned that their first confirmed LGBTQ+ character would be killed off so quickly.
- The Atlas Pilot became a favorite among fans, even being given the nickname "Pilot Boi."
- Kim Newman's Twitter
- Volume 5 Directors' Commentary Chapter 2
- CRWBY AMA w/ Miles Luna, Kerry Shawcross, and Paula Decanini!