- For the other uses of "Atlas", see Atlas (disambiguation).
Overview Image Gallery
Description[edit | edit source]
Atlas is a large metropolitan city in the Kingdom of Atlas, sitting atop a floating island above the city of Mantle. The city is extremely advanced, with towers and skyscrapers of all sizes being visible at a distance, all seemingly with a blue color scheme to them. Atlas is seen as having platforms on the underside of the floating island and Atlas Academy is situated at the center of the city. There is a massive hill to one side of the city, atop of which is the Schnee Manor.
To the bottom of the floating city, the district of Old Mantle is seen above a massive airport. Farmlands are seen to either side of Old Mantle.
The entire city appears to be surrounded by a Hard-Light barrier that is being projected by forked spires stationed around the perimeter of the floating island. However, if one of the towers is disabled then the whole barrier would be disabled.
Additionally, large train rails in the form of rings circling around allow for mass public transportation. The tracks are projected by large towers, using Hard-Light Dust.
The Atlas Broadcast Network serves as a major news service for the Kingdom, frequently used in both Atlas itself and in Mantle. The Lance of Liberty, which uses the Lancer Grimm as their company's emblem, along with the Atlas Eye are two additional news services. They are all first seen in "Sparks".
Locations[edit | edit source]
Layout[edit | edit source]
Atlas is build atop a large, flat island with a range of mountains on the north-most "coast" of the landmass, in addition to a singular mountain rising at its center. Large generators surround the island, allowing it to be protected by Hard-light Dust shields.
City[edit | edit source]
The majority of the city's island is composed of large residential areas and businesses, whose architecture takes large inspiration from a blend of art deco and neo-classical elements, as well as the Kingdom's highly advanced technology. The city is shown to have various subway systems, making transport in the island extremely efficient.
One notable business in Atlas was the Glass Unicorn, a hotel where a young Cinder was raised and put to work after being taken in from an orphanage in Mistral. It was managed by the Madame and her daughters before their deaths.
Atlas Academy is positioned atop the island's center mountain, overlooking the city. There, it doubles as both the Kingdom's academy and General Ironwood's military center, situated directly below Atlas Academy at the city's "Donut", where various facilities are hosted.
Resting on one of Atlas' mountain ranges, the residence of the Schnee family is hoisted over a hill, overlooking the city in a similar manner to the kingdom's Huntsman academy.
Fields[edit | edit source]
The southern part of Atlas' island is built differently to its other half. The city itself narrows in the Old Mantle district as a large portion of it is reserved for expansive fields for food production.
Donut[edit | edit source]
Directly under Atlas, in the center of the floating landmass, the military keeps various facilities in a spiral connected to the city's anchors. Affectionately nicknamed "The Donut", this is where Fria was kept in the Atlas Medical Facility, officially known as the "M3" (or Maiden Medical Tower 3). Landing bays are seen within the Donut.
History[edit | edit source]
Following the Great War, the people of Mantle needed a new symbol of hope, which the city of Atlas provided. Soon, Atlas cast a shadow over Mantle, becoming the face of its kingdom. This also became more literal, when an incarnation of Ozma suggested using the Relic of Creation to raise Atlas off the ground. By the current time, the public story for Atlas being kept afloat is due to Gravity Dust.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Its name is likely a reference to Atlas, a Titan in Greek mythology who was punished for opposing the Olympians by being made to hold up the sky for all eternity. It could also be a reference to Atlas as a large map, similar in symbolism to other Academy names such as Beacon Academy and Signal Academy.
- The city was described by Miles Luna as "futuristic New York City, if it were developed by Apple".
- The commentary describes Mantle as more utilitarian looking and compared to the movie Blade Runner, while Atlas was made to look like it was created by Apple. Two different futuristic looks.
- The Kingdom of Atlas represents two different versions of America with Mantle representing the cities and Atlas representing technology.
- Miles Luna stated that he was hoping people didn't figure out Atlas was a floating city in the sky before they got there. Even in World of Remnant, they were very careful with how they worded things to avoid spoiling this fact.
- Early concept art by Weston T. Jones showed the City of Atlas floating via an artificial platform, but was changed to having it on a floating island instead.
References[edit | edit source]