Overview Image Gallery
The smaller part of the temple seems to mostly consist of the broken ruins of a rotunda. The floor of the structure bears a symmetrical design Three of the columns are broken and lie around the area in pieces. There are five stone columns still standing that hold up a circle of stones. Small relics stand on pedestals lined around the rotunda.
Close to the temple are additional ruins, consisting of stone towers and stone bridges situated over a large chasm. A stone bridge leads to a large central tower. Smaller towers surround the main tower and are connected surrounded by long stone pillar-lined walkways. Opposite of the bridge is a tall cliff with a stone wall.
The relics stored at the temple for the two-person teams to collect are personally chosen by Ozpin. The relics are changed every year, and in the year of Team RWBY's initiation, the relics consisted of gold and black chess pieces.
In "The First Step", Headmaster Ozpin first mentions the temple as the goal for the new students at Beacon Academy. He instructs them to head to the northern part of the forest to find an abandoned temple and each team will pick one of the relics as part of their initiation.
In "The Emerald Forest, Pt.2", Blake Belladonna and Yang Xiao Long are the first shown finding the temple; however missing relics prove they are not the first ones to get there. Upon arrival, they find the relics, which turn out to be chess pieces. Yang decides on a golden knight piece, which Blake agrees to.
Eventually, in "Players and Pieces", Jaune Arc, Lie Ren, Weiss Schnee, Pyrrha Nikos, Nora Valkyrie and Ruby Rose rendezvous at the temple, where they recover their relics. They then flee from a Death Stalker and Nevermore into a steeple, where they engage and defeat the Grimm.
- The temple seems to be a mix of the Oracles of ancient Greece and the Celtic stone ring monuments like iconic Stonehenge on the British Isles.
- Monty based the design of the larger ruins on the smaller temple.
- The ruins are the remains of the Humans that lived before the modern age in Remnant. The Humans likely built the city against a cliff and built bridges to keep themselves safe from the monsters that surrounded them.
- In Chapter 3 of RWBY: The Official Manga, the text refers to the temple as the "Abandon Ruins".
- ↑ RWBY Volume 1 Director's Commentary [timestamp needed]